Binomial series vs Binomial theorem, scratching my head for three days on this

In summary, the Binomial Series is a mathematical series that is used to expand powers of a binomial expression. It is represented by the formula \sum_{n=0}^{\infty }\binom{n}{r} x^n and is derived using the binomial coefficient \binom{n}{r} = \frac{n(n-1)...(n-r+1)}{n!} for r\geq1 and \binom{n}{0} = 1. This formula can also be rewritten using Gamma functions and explains why the series terminates for integer powers and becomes infinite for non-integer powers. However, it is important to note that for the Binomial series, n is not necessarily an integer and the
gretun
In my book, it says that the Binomial Series is

[tex]\sum_{n=0}^{\infty }\binom{n}{r} x^n[/tex]

Where [tex]\binom{n}{r} = \frac{n(n-1)...(n-r+1)}{n!}[/tex] for [tex]r\geq1[/tex] and [tex]\binom{n}{0} = 1[/tex]

Now here is where it got to be, I know that the [tex]\binom{n}{r} = \frac{n(n-1)...(n-r+1)}{n!}[/tex] were derived through the power series, but how does it explained the original statement that [tex]\sum_{n=0}^{\infty }\binom{n}{r} x^n[/tex]?

Since [tex]\binom{n}{r}[/tex] does not actually change. I mean it is still [tex]\frac{n!}{(n-r)!r!}[/tex] and so how can you put negative n into n!?

Physics news on Phys.org
One way to think of it is to rewrite the binomial coefficient in terms of Gamma functions:

[tex]\left(\begin{array}{c}n \\ r \end{array}\right) = \frac{\Gamma(n+1)}{\Gamma(n-r+1)\Gamma(r+1)}[/tex]

The Gamma function [itex]\Gamma(z)[/itex] has poles at [itex]z = 0, -1, -2, \dots[/itex], or equivalently, [itex]1/\Gamma(z)[/itex] has zeroes at these points, so when [itex]n-r+1 \leq 0[/itex] the denominator of the binomial coefficient becomes infinite and so the coefficient vanishes. Hence the series terminates and you get a finite expansion for integer powers.

It is only at the negative integers that the gamma function has poles, so when n - r + 1 is not an integer, the Gamma function doesn't vanish, and you get an infinite series.

(Note: I don't think this is a rigorous argument, but I think it can be made rigorous by defining the properties of [itex]1/\Gamma(z)[/itex] precisely such that it has zeros where [itex]\Gamma(z)[/itex] has poles. I'll leave it to any more mathematician-minded posters to fill in the gaps in rigor).

I think the main thing the OP is simply missing is that for Binomial series, n is not necessarily an integer, which is why they write it out in the longer form, as the one with factorials only works with integers.

Gib Z said:
I think the main thing the OP is simply missing is that for Binomial series, n is not necessarily an integer, which is why they write it out in the longer form, as the one with factorials only works with integers.

Did they flip the formula of combinatorics?

gretun said:
[tex]\binom{n}{r} = \frac{n(n-1)...(n-r+1)}{n!}[/tex]

This is incorrect. It should be

[tex]\binom{n}{r} = \frac{n(n-1)...(n-r+1)}{r!}[/tex]

g_edgar said:
This is incorrect. It should be

[tex]\binom{n}{r} = \frac{n(n-1)...(n-r+1)}{r!}[/tex]

Oh right sorry lol, my tex was wrong.

I think your original binomial series is wrong too.

[tex]\sum_{n=0}^{\infty }\binom{n}{r} x^n[/tex]

The correct one should be summing about r, not n. i.e.

[tex] (1+x)^n = \sum_{r=0}^{\infty} \binom{n}{r} x^r [/tex]

This formula is valid, even for complex n. You are right that this formula can be derived using Taylor series.

What is the difference between the binomial series and the binomial theorem?

The binomial series and the binomial theorem are two related mathematical concepts, but they have different applications. The binomial series is an infinite series representation of a rational function, while the binomial theorem is used to expand binomial expressions.

How do I know which one to use?

The choice between the binomial series and the binomial theorem depends on the specific problem you are trying to solve. If you need to expand a binomial expression, the binomial theorem is the appropriate tool. On the other hand, if you need to find the sum of an infinite series involving binomial terms, the binomial series is the way to go.

What are the common applications of the binomial series and the binomial theorem?

The binomial series is often used in calculus to approximate functions, while the binomial theorem is used in algebra and combinatorics to expand expressions and calculate probabilities. Both concepts also have applications in physics, engineering, and other fields of science.

Do the binomial series and the binomial theorem have any limitations?

Both the binomial series and the binomial theorem have certain limitations. The binomial series may not converge for some values of the variables, and the binomial theorem can only be applied to binomial expressions. It is important to understand these limitations and use the appropriate tool for each problem.

Are there any real-life examples of the binomial series and the binomial theorem?

Yes, there are many real-life examples of the binomial series and the binomial theorem. For instance, the binomial series can be used to approximate the value of pi, and the binomial theorem is used in genetics to calculate the probability of certain genetic combinations. These concepts also have applications in financial modeling, population growth, and other real-world scenarios.