1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Biology life span of nerve and red blood cells

1. Feb 9, 2010 #1
    Question given. Predict how the average life span of a nerve cell located in the brain differs from the average life span of a red blood cell. Provide a basis based on cellular features.

I know that the average life span of a nerve cell is the life span of the organism which it lives in. The red blood cells have an average life span of 3-4 months. I know that the fact that the red blood cells don't have a nucleus is the main reason.

What specifically about the nucleus increases the life span of the cell so tremendously? Is it simply the synthesizing of new protiens? This is where my answer is lacking and any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 11, 2010 #2

Lok

Yes, without a nucleus the cell has no genetic info so it cannot make new proteins, old ones get broken, and normal functions stop.

4. Feb 11, 2010 #3

Lok

Nerve cells don't divide, when matured, as that would rewire a brain (and one would enjoy coloring books again), this might be a reason a nerve cell keeps most of it's DNA in top shape, as less divisions mean less errors.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook