1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Biomedical engineering job outlook

1. Sep 6, 2013 #1
    A while ago, I posted a thread about my plans to pursue a dual degree in physics and chemical engineering. Now, I haven't changed my mind about the dual degree and the general educational route I want to take. But I recently changed my mind about being a petroleum engineer, and decided I'd rather pursue biomedical engineering instead.

While the Bureau of Labor Statistics claims that there will be 62% job growth (!) over the next 10 years for BMEs, I've heard bad things from people who have attained a BS in BME. Among other things, I've heard that not a lot of companies are looking for BME (the BLS statistics notwithstanding), that graduates in chemical or electrical engineering fare better at getting BME jobs, and that you basically have to have good connections and experience to even think about landing an entry level job.

My question is: is this true? Should I skip on the BME degree and go for ChemE instead, and try to become a BME that way? Or is a BME B.S. a better idea, esp. since I'll be about 30 by the time I have it? Furthermore, if connections are necessary, does anyone here know if a school like Columbia (the one I'll hopefully be attending - see my first thread for detailed academic plans) will provide me with the connections and experience I'll need to succeed in the field? Even if you're not experienced with Columbia's BME program, I'd like to know if there are any people here who at least have experience with Columbia engineering graduates and know what kind of connections they usually have.

Any comments or thoughts would be welcome.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 13, 2013 #2
    My only advice is that if you are going to a school like Columbia, I wouldn't fret over the details. Pick the discipline that interests you the most. Look at the courses. Get good grades, talk with people, join clubs and you'll be successful.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook