Biomedical engineering job outlook

In summary, the individual had originally planned to pursue a dual degree in physics and chemical engineering, but recently changed their mind about becoming a petroleum engineer and instead wants to pursue biomedical engineering. They are concerned about job prospects in the field and question if they should switch to a degree in chemical engineering instead. They also wonder if attending a school like Columbia will provide them with the necessary connections and experience to succeed in the field. The only advice given is to focus on the discipline that interests them the most and take advantage of opportunities at their chosen school.
BenB
A while ago, I posted a thread about my plans to pursue a dual degree in physics and chemical engineering. Now, I haven't changed my mind about the dual degree and the general educational route I want to take. But I recently changed my mind about being a petroleum engineer, and decided I'd rather pursue biomedical engineering instead.

While the Bureau of Labor Statistics claims that there will be 62% job growth (!) over the next 10 years for BMEs, I've heard bad things from people who have attained a BS in BME. Among other things, I've heard that not a lot of companies are looking for BME (the BLS statistics notwithstanding), that graduates in chemical or electrical engineering fare better at getting BME jobs, and that you basically have to have good connections and experience to even think about landing an entry level job.

My question is: is this true? Should I skip on the BME degree and go for ChemE instead, and try to become a BME that way? Or is a BME B.S. a better idea, esp. since I'll be about 30 by the time I have it? Furthermore, if connections are necessary, does anyone here know if a school like Columbia (the one I'll hopefully be attending - see my first thread for detailed academic plans) will provide me with the connections and experience I'll need to succeed in the field? Even if you're not experienced with Columbia's BME program, I'd like to know if there are any people here who at least have experience with Columbia engineering graduates and know what kind of connections they usually have.

Any comments or thoughts would be welcome.

Physics news on Phys.org
My only advice is that if you are going to a school like Columbia, I wouldn't fret over the details. Pick the discipline that interests you the most. Look at the courses. Get good grades, talk with people, join clubs and you'll be successful.

1. What is the current demand for biomedical engineers in the job market?

The demand for biomedical engineers is expected to grow by 5% from 2019 to 2029, which is faster than the average for all occupations. This growth is due to the increasing use of medical technology and devices and the aging population's need for medical care.

2. What industries or fields are biomedical engineers typically employed in?

Biomedical engineers can be employed in a variety of industries such as medical equipment and supplies manufacturing, pharmaceutical manufacturing, scientific research and development services, and healthcare services. They can also work in specific fields such as regenerative medicine, biomechanics, and bioinstrumentation.

3. What skills are necessary for a successful career in biomedical engineering?

Some essential skills for biomedical engineers include strong analytical and problem-solving abilities, attention to detail, communication skills, and the ability to work in a team. Knowledge of biology, chemistry, and engineering principles is also crucial for this field.

4. Are there opportunities for advancement in the field of biomedical engineering?

Yes, there are many opportunities for advancement in biomedical engineering. With experience and advanced education, biomedical engineers can become senior engineers, project managers, or move into leadership roles such as a department head or director. They can also pursue further education and research to become professors or researchers in academia.

5. What is the average salary for a biomedical engineer?

The median annual wage for biomedical engineers was $91,410 in May 2019. However, this can vary depending on factors such as experience, education, and industry. Biomedical engineers with advanced degrees and experience can earn significantly higher salaries, and those in management positions can earn even more.