Biomedical engineering studies for french student

In summary, the French teenager is looking for advice on studying biomedical engineering abroad. She has applied to several universities, but is unsure which one to choose. She is interested in both biomedical engineering and civil engineering, but wants to know which one she should pursue.
Fairytales
Hello!

I'm French but I'd like to study biomedical engineering abroad as it's absolutely NOT widespread here. This year is my second year studying maths, physics, engineering science, chemistry in university but I don't mind starting from scratch, I'm still 18.

I've already searched a lot on the internet but I'm trying my luck by asking you I you would know some affordable and good universities that offer a master degree or something similar in biomedical engineering. I don't mind the place, I take it all !
I'm interested in Bradford university but it seems that next year tuition fees are going to increase threefold (9000£:eek:). And it's even worse in the US, it costs something like 30000$ :bugeye:

Please I need your help, the deadline for application is very close if not already gotten past.

Thank you so much !

Physics news on Phys.org
If you're unsure of how studying abroad would pan out money-wise, I think you should give French universities a more thorough look through. Granted, I don't know the biomedical engineering field, but France has always had good universities in all fields, so I'm pretty sure this isn't some niche that they just haven't filled out. In any case, and with all due respect to Bradford University, which I haven't heard of even though I was applying to UK schools, I think you can find a good (dare I say better?) school back home that will allow you to pursue biomedical engineering. And just because there perhaps aren't as many programs specifically called biomedical engineering, that doesn't mean there aren't programs that prepare you for it and cover it.

Fairytales said:
I'm still 18.

I've already searched a lot on the internet but I'm trying my luck by asking you I you would know some affordable and good universities that offer a master degree or something similar in biomedical engineering. I don't mind the place, I take it all !

Do you mean an undergraduate masters in biomedical engineering? Or are you saying you will finish your current degree and then want to study a post-graduate masters in bioengineering?

A little sort-of-aside: bioengineering is obviously an interdisciplinary field. These are funny things - in that many believe the best route is to actually study something specific, like, physics, mechanical engineering, electrical engineering etc, then come into bioengineering as an application of your field. So, you're a mechanical engineer? Then you can work on prosthetics (as an example). It really depends what you want to do, just remember that studying whatever engineering subject for the moment won't lock you out of bioengineering options for a career, and might even be an advantage.

As a result of the above, it is more common for post-graduate masters to exist in bioengineering than undergraduate degrees. Imperial have an undergraduate degree for instance, but it is in the minority. Lots of UK institutions offer post-graduate qualifications (Msc or PhD) and will accept people with undergraduates in any mathematical science or an engineering subject.

Hey there,

Thanks a lot for your answers. I was looking for an undergraduate degree.

I applied to the biomedical program of the http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/%C3%89cole_Polytechnique_de_Montr%C3%A9al" [Broken] and my application is accepted !

So I was wondering if you would happen to know this school ? What do you think of it ? I've also been accepted in EPFL in Switzeland in civil engineering (I know it's completely different from biomedical but I also like this subject a lot) so it's very hard to choose...

I know that no one can choose for me but could you tell me whelther you prefer biomedical engineering or civil engineering ? According to you, which of these two careers is the most interesting ? Which one do you think is the most fulfilling ?

Thank you in advance for your help, I have to take THE decision of my lifetime !

Last edited by a moderator:

Hello French student! I am glad to hear of your interest in studying biomedical engineering abroad. It is a fascinating and rapidly growing field that combines science, engineering, and medicine to improve healthcare and save lives. I can tell you that this is an exciting time to be involved in this field, with new technologies and discoveries happening all the time.

I understand your concern about the high tuition fees in some countries, but I would encourage you to not let that discourage you. There are many affordable and reputable universities around the world that offer biomedical engineering programs. Some options you may want to consider are the University of Toronto in Canada, the Technical University of Munich in Germany, and the University of Melbourne in Australia. It is always a good idea to research the specific program and its reputation before making a decision.

You may also want to look into scholarship opportunities and financial aid options that could help make studying abroad more affordable for you. Many universities offer scholarships specifically for international students, and there are also external organizations that offer funding for students studying in certain fields such as biomedical engineering.

I wish you all the best in your search for the perfect university and program. Keep pursuing your passion for biomedical engineering and never give up on your dreams. Good luck!

1. What is biomedical engineering?

Biomedical engineering is a field that combines principles of engineering, biology, and medicine to develop solutions to improve human health and healthcare. It involves the application of engineering concepts and techniques to solve problems in the medical and healthcare industries.

2. How long does it take to complete a biomedical engineering degree?

The duration of a biomedical engineering degree varies depending on the program and the level of study. In France, a typical undergraduate degree takes 3 years to complete, while a master's degree takes an additional 2 years. A PhD in biomedical engineering can take an additional 3-5 years.

3. What are the career opportunities for biomedical engineering graduates?

Biomedical engineering graduates have a wide range of career opportunities, including working in research and development, healthcare facilities, medical device companies, pharmaceutical companies, and government agencies. They can also pursue further studies in medicine, business, or law.

4. Do I need a strong background in both science and math to study biomedical engineering?

While a strong understanding of both science and math is important in biomedical engineering, having a background in one field can also be beneficial. Biomedical engineering programs often have a mix of courses in biology, chemistry, physics, math, and engineering principles to provide a well-rounded education.

5. Can I study biomedical engineering if I don't speak French?

Many universities in France offer biomedical engineering programs in English, so it is possible for non-French speakers to study in this field. However, it is recommended to have a basic understanding of French as it can be beneficial for everyday life and networking opportunities in the French biomedical engineering industry.