Birth and death rates of roaches.

  • Thread starter Thread starter cp255
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Death
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 3K views
cp255
Messages
54
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement



Consider a population model in which the birth and death rates and  of a cockroach
population P are both proportional to sqrt(P). (Recall that in a “normal” exponential growth
model, B and  D are constants.) If the cockroach population has increased from 100 to 400
in one week, what will the population be in another week? Is this model reasonable?


Homework Equations





The Attempt at a Solution



So I am not sure exactly how to model this. Here is my attempt but I think it is wrong since there are too many unknowns for the information given.

B = k*sqrt(P)
D = w*sqrt(P)

Where B is the birth rate, D is the death rate, and they are both equal to different constants multiplied by the square root of P.

So here is the differential equation I cam up with...
dP/dt = (k*sqrt(P) - w*sqrt(P))P

However I think there are too many unknowns for the information given.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
If you do a little algebra
[tex]\frac{dP}{dt} = (k-w) P^{3/2}[/tex]
Now it doesn't matter what k and w are, just what k-w is. So you really only have one unknown that matters.