1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Markov Birth Death Chain Show Stationary Distribution

1. Apr 15, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Logistics model: Consider the birth and death chain with birth rates π(n)=a + Bn and death rates μ(n) = (S + yn)n where all four constants (a, B, S, y) are positive. In words, there is immigration at rate a, each particle gives birth at rate B and dies at rate S+yn, i.e., at a rate which starts at rate S and increases linearly due to crowding. Show that the system has a stationary distribution.

2. Relevant equations

Since this is a birth and death process, we know;

π(n) = λ(n-1)*λ(n-2)* ...*λ(0) * π(0) / μ(n) * μ(n-1) * ... * μ(1)

where the rate from n to n+1 = λ(n) and the rate from n to n-1= μ(n)

3. The attempt at a solution

Using this, we have:

π(n) = π(0) * ∏i=0n-1 λ(i)/μ(i+1)

π(n) = π(0) * ∏i=0n-1 [ a + Bi] / [ (S+y(i + 1)) * (i+1) ]

And this is where I'm stuck. If I can show that the Ʃn π(n) < ∞ , then I could pick π(0) to make the sum 1. I guess I need to show that the above product is a finite value or at least less than some finite value, and then Ʃn π(n) would also be finite....

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 15, 2012 #2

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Since a, B, S and y are > 0 we have [tex] 0 < f(i) \equiv \frac{a + Bi}{S + y(i+1)} \leq K [/tex] for some easily-computable constant K = K(a,B,S,y). Thus
    [tex]0 < \prod_{i=0}^{n-1} \frac{f(i)}{i+1} \leq \frac{K^n}{n!}.[/tex]

RGV

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook