1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Bitwise AND operation backwards

1. Aug 5, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

At my company we calculate a product's serial number from a MAC address provided with the unit. One of the equations is done with a bitwise AND operation of two integers. I have tried to run that equation backwards but with no result.

Variables and data:

V = The source value to do the bitwise AND operation with
    C = A known constant to use in the bitwise AND operation
    S = Result of bitwise AND operation

Let say: V = 10, C = 6

2. Relevant equations

The equation forward is: V & C = S => 10 & 6 = 2

In binary:

1010 = 10
    0110 = 6
    -----
    0010 = 2

Now I just want to reverse that process and calculate 10 from 6 and 2 in some way.

Don't try with: C + 2S (6 + (2*2)) works just in this case.

3. The attempt at a solution

I tried the opposite way by changing V for S:

2 & 6 = 2

In binary:

0010 = 2
    0110 = 6
    -----
    0010 = 2

The problem occurs when one of the bits in the V is 1 and the equivalent bit in C is 0. The bit in S will then be 0 and V's bit can never return to 1.

Any suggestions?

/Mc_Topaz

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 5, 2011 #2

uart

Science Advisor

Unfortunately that's just not possible as it's a many to one mapping. Of the three main two input binary operators (AND OR XOR) only XOR is invertible like that.

4. Aug 5, 2011 #3
    It would be possible if you also knew V & ~C, though. Since A & B only has ones where both A and B have ones, and ~B has ones only where B has zeros, V & ~C has the 'missing ones' from the other calculation.

5. Aug 5, 2011 #4

uart

Science Advisor

Actually "V" is the thing he's trying to find (given S and C). Knowledge of ~C provides no new information and doesn't help with the original problem. Since he knows C then he already knows ~C anyway.

Last edited: Aug 5, 2011
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook