Subtraction using 8-bit binary 1's complement

• Thread starter Duderonimous
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Binary
In summary, the method for performing subtraction using 8-bit binary in 1's complement involves converting the numbers from decimal to binary, taking the ones complement of any negative numbers, and adding the two numbers together, with an additional 1 if there is a carryout. The final answer can then be obtained by taking the 1's complement of the result for negative values. The example calculations provided for (22-59)10 and (-11-64)10 show that the method is correct.
Duderonimous

Homework Statement

Perform the indicated subtraction using 8-bit binary in 1's complement:

(22-59)10

(-11-64)10

Homework Equations

i. Convert the numbers from decimal to binary
ii. Take the ones complement of binary representation of any negative numbers
iii. Add the two numbers together add 1 if there is a carryout. Leave as is if no carry out.

The Attempt at a Solution

(+22)10 →→ (0001 0110)2 →→ (0001 0110)2
+(-59)10 → +1'sC(0011 1011)2 → +(1100 0100)2
Answer: (1101 1010)2

(-11) →→1'sC(0000 1011)→1111 0100
+(-64) →+1'sC(0100 0000) →+1011 1111
Answer: 1011 0100

Is this correct? Thanks. I just get the positive value by taking the 1's Comp of my answer right? I kind of figured it out as I wrote this. But if someone can confirm that would be nice thanks.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I only checked the first one and it looks fine.

Likes Duderonimous
Thanks

What is subtraction using 8-bit binary 1's complement?

Subtraction using 8-bit binary 1's complement is a method of performing subtraction in binary using the 1's complement of the second number. This involves flipping all the bits of the second number (making it the 1's complement) and adding it to the first number.

When is subtraction using 8-bit binary 1's complement used?

This method is often used in digital electronics and computer science, where numbers are represented in binary form. It is also commonly used in computer arithmetic and logic operations.

How is subtraction using 8-bit binary 1's complement performed?

To perform subtraction using this method, first, convert the numbers to 8-bit binary form. Then, find the 1's complement of the second number by flipping all its bits (0s become 1s and 1s become 0s). Finally, add the first number to the 1's complement of the second number, including the carry bit. The result will be the correct answer in 8-bit binary form.

What are the advantages of using subtraction using 8-bit binary 1's complement?

One advantage is that it simplifies the subtraction process, as it only requires the addition of two binary numbers. It also allows for the use of the same hardware for both addition and subtraction operations, making it more efficient in digital systems.

Are there any limitations to using subtraction using 8-bit binary 1's complement?

One limitation is that it can only be used for unsigned numbers, as the 1's complement representation does not include a sign bit. It also does not work for numbers with a carry bit in the highest bit position, as this would result in an incorrect answer.