Bizarre Atmospheric Physics Problem

In summary, Homework Equations require knowledge of adiabatic reversible expansion, which is something missing from this problem. However, you can solve for the final temperature by using the equations for an adiabatic reversible expansion and extrapolating from there. If anyone was interested in knowing the answer to this problem; they can search for information on the internet.
Daniel Sellers

Homework Statement

For an atmospheric physics class, we are given this problem that I and a classmate have been struggling with for days. Reaching out here for some help.
Full Problem statement in the image attached.

We have a balloon at 293 K and 101,300 Pa. How much fuel is needed to raise the balloon to a pressure of 90,000 Pa if the fuel gives 5*107 J/kg. The Balloon expands adiabatically while rising.

That's all the information we're given accept that the answer should be about 5 kg (or 2.5 * 108 J)

Homework Equations

Perhaps the adiabatic work condition? But that involves volume.

cp*m*ΔT = Q but I can't see how to solve for the air mass

The Attempt at a Solution

I have tried everything I can think of. My professor's only response has been to say I should solve for the final temperature first, which he says should be about 360 K. I can't get this value. But even if I take it as a given I can only solve the final density, not the actual mass and therefore not an amount of energy.

Every route I try hits a wall where I need a volume or an air mass to obtain an energy value.

Can anyone suggest a way to solve for the energy required without knowing the mass or at least the volume of the balloon? Going kind of crazy with this problem. It's due in two days and there are midterms to study for. Any help is appreciated.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2018-05-08 at 12.59.11 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2018-05-08 at 12.59.11 AM.png
    11.8 KB · Views: 471
Physics news on Phys.org
It seems like there is information missing like the amount of air in the balloon or the balloon diameter.

My idea would also be that for a bigger balloon more energy would be needed...

Ok, thanks for saying so cause I was starting to feel like I was going crazy.

Can anyone at least posit how one would solve for the final temperature inside the balloon? Because then I could solve for a final density and at least say I did something.

I am as annoyed and frustrated as I have ever been in a class. Thanks for your help

Daniel Sellers said:
Ok, thanks for saying so cause I was starting to feel like I was going crazy.

Can anyone at least posit how one would solve for the final temperature inside the balloon? Because then I could solve for a final density and at least say I did something.

I am as annoyed and frustrated as I have ever been in a class. Thanks for your help
You would use the equations for an adiabatic reversible expansion.

Chestermiller said:
You would use the equations for an adiabatic reversible expansion.
Not to be difficult, but don't all of the equations for adiabtic processes involve volume?

You have already said that this problem seems to be missing information, so if that's true please feel don't feel obligated to repeat yourself

Daniel Sellers said:
at least say I did something.
You could start from the answer and work back to deduce the initial volume.
Prof can then check that against the omitted data.

If anyone was interested in knowing the answer to this problem;

My professor forgot to include the critical data of volume and mass. He added the missing info the day before it was due, then he gave a condescending lecture to the class about how we all just want to plug things into equations and not really think about the problem.

So that's cool. Thanks for everyone's replies

1. What is a Bizarre Atmospheric Physics Problem?

A Bizarre Atmospheric Physics Problem is a complex and unusual phenomenon that occurs within the Earth's atmosphere. It involves the study of various atmospheric processes, such as weather patterns, atmospheric dynamics, and radiation, and their interactions with each other and the Earth's surface.

2. How do Bizarre Atmospheric Physics Problems affect our daily lives?

Bizarre Atmospheric Physics Problems can have a significant impact on our daily lives. For example, extreme weather events, such as hurricanes and tornadoes, are a result of atmospheric physics. Changes in atmospheric conditions, such as air pollution and climate change, can also have significant effects on human health, agriculture, and infrastructure.

3. What are some current research topics in Bizarre Atmospheric Physics?

Some current research topics in Bizarre Atmospheric Physics include studying the effects of climate change on the atmosphere, understanding the dynamics of severe weather events, and developing new techniques for accurately predicting weather patterns. Other areas of research include atmospheric chemistry, remote sensing, and the impact of human activities on the atmosphere.

4. What tools and methods are used to study Bizarre Atmospheric Physics Problems?

Scientists use a variety of tools and methods to study Bizarre Atmospheric Physics Problems. These can include satellites, weather balloons, radar systems, computer models, and ground-based instruments. Researchers also use mathematical and statistical analyses to interpret and understand their data.

5. How can we address and mitigate Bizarre Atmospheric Physics Problems?

Addressing and mitigating Bizarre Atmospheric Physics Problems involves a combination of scientific research, technological advancements, and policy changes. By understanding the underlying causes and mechanisms of these problems, we can develop strategies to reduce their impact. This can include implementing sustainable practices to reduce air pollution and greenhouse gas emissions, as well as developing early warning systems for severe weather events.