Designing Comparator with Discrete BJTs

In summary, a simple comparator using discrete BJTs can be created by biasing the inputs to just below zero volts and using a PNP transistor as the switch. The range of the input pins is a limitation of this design, but current mirror biasing may improve accuracy.
likephysics
Just wondering how would one design a comparator using just discrete BJTs.

Engineering news on Phys.org
An "emitter coupled pair" makes a simple comparator, but you'd need to include current mirror biasing and an output stage to make anything that even approached the sort of functionality of commercially available IC's.

How simple or how elaborate do you want it?

Emitter coupled pair like the one in attachment?
I've been playing with this since yesterday. How do you fix the gain of this ckt.
In the ckt, how do I overcome the min Vbe requirement of Q1,Q2.

For a TTL output comparator a BJT configured as a CE amplifier with Vcc=5v would work?

I just need something that works and also simple enough to understand.

You forgot the attachment :)

huh. Here it is.

Attachments

• BJT diff amp.pdf
    18.2 KB · Views: 1,251
likephysics said:
Emitter coupled pair like the one in attachment?
I've been playing with this since yesterday. How do you fix the gain of this ckt.
In the ckt, how do I overcome the min Vbe requirement of Q1,Q2.

For a TTL output comparator a BJT configured as a CE amplifier with Vcc=5v would work?

I just need something that works and also simple enough to understand.

To make a discrete differential pair, you will usually use a matched transistor pair. There is too much mismatch/offset when you use separate transistors, especially over temperature:

http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl...en&gbv=2&tbs=isch:1&ei=eYtRTaKcCo72swPtkPy9Bg

likephysics said:
huh. Here it is.
Ok I modified your circuit to make about the simplest "comparator" possible out of a few discrete components.

The 10k base resistors will bias the inputs to just below zero volts (about -50mV). It will work better with matched transistors but this is not meant to be a particularly accurate comparator so it doesn’t really matter. It’s definitely only meant as a simple project to explore the most basic aspects of BJT comparator design.

It’s biased so that the output is just off (low) when the two input voltages are at zero and it will switch high when V2 gets about 50mV higher than V1.

Common mode input range is a big problem due to the simple resistor biasing. You might want to explore how you can improve the design with current mirror biasing.

BTW. Q3 could be any general purpose PNP transistor, I just chose the 2N2907A because you seem to be basing other components around the pspice evaluation library.

Attachments

• comp.jpg
    comp.jpg
    13.1 KB · Views: 3,415
Last edited:

1. How do I select the right BJTs for my comparator design?

The most important factors to consider when selecting BJTs for a comparator design are their current gain (hFE) and speed. BJTs with a high current gain will provide better accuracy, while faster BJTs will result in a faster response time. It is also important to ensure that the BJTs have a low offset voltage to minimize errors in the comparator's output.

2. What is the purpose of using discrete BJTs instead of integrated circuits in a comparator design?

Using discrete BJTs allows for greater flexibility and customization in the design. Discrete BJTs can be selected and configured to meet specific requirements and can also handle higher voltages and currents than integrated circuits. Additionally, using discrete BJTs can be more cost-effective for certain applications.

3. How do I ensure stability in my comparator design using discrete BJTs?

Stability in a comparator design can be achieved by adding external compensation components such as resistors and capacitors. These components can help to minimize oscillations and prevent the comparator from latching on to noise or other unwanted signals.

4. Can I use different types of BJTs in my comparator design?

Yes, you can use different types of BJTs in your comparator design, as long as they have similar characteristics and are operated within their specified parameters. It is important to ensure that the BJTs have similar current gain, speed, and characteristics such as breakdown voltage to maintain accuracy in the comparator's output.

5. How can I improve the performance of my comparator design using discrete BJTs?

To improve the performance of your comparator design, you can use BJTs with lower noise levels, higher current gain, and faster response times. Additionally, careful selection and placement of external components such as resistors and capacitors can also help to improve the overall performance of the comparator.