1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

BJT emitter degeneration problem

1. Feb 5, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    a)Find R1
    b)Find the change in IC if Re varies by 5%.
    Given:
    Ic = 0.25mA
    β=100
    (see attached ckt)
    2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

Ic=0.25mA, Ib=0.0025mA
    Vbe = 0.6956V
    Ie=Ic+Ib = 0.2525mA
    Re = 200*0.2525 = 50.5mV

Found R1 by applying KCL at base.
    (Vcc-Vbe-Vre)/R1 = (Vbe+Vre)/10k + Ib
    R1=22.75K

For part b) Re be +5% = 210 ohms
    Vre = 210*Ie= 53mV
    Is this even correct, I took the old Ie. What next?
    I can't use any equations having Vbe or Ib since they change with increase in Vre.

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 7, 2012 #2
    Anyone?

4. Feb 7, 2012 #3

NascentOxygen

Staff: Mentor

How did you determine Vbe = 0.6956V? For such low currents, I would have used 0.6v. It's simply a case of going with 0.7 or 0.6, usually. But the difference is not very important.

Well, you can't use the old IE. You know that is going to change.
    You know everything about the circuit biasing except IB. So form a couple of equations in a similar way to how you did before and solve for IB. This time you know R1, and the only unknown is IB.

5. Feb 8, 2012 #4
    Ic is given, so I used Vbe = Vt ln (Ic/Is).

Well, to find Ib, I have to assume Vbe. can I assume the old Vbe (0.695)?

6. Feb 9, 2012 #5

NascentOxygen

Staff: Mentor

I think it is perfectly reasonable to make that assumption, but you should be guided by worked examples that you have done in class. The usual justification is that the circuit is going to be constructed using preferred value resistors, anyway, and on top of this, they typically have a 5% tolerance. (Yes, I did look askance at the 3kΩ collector resistor, and wonder about preferred values ....)

If you do make the assumption that Vbe barely changes (to avoid having to use numerical techniques to arrive at the 'solution'), you can always go back to the Vbe log equation and demonstrate that the revised value of IC makes little difference to Vbe.

At such low currents, I still think 0.7v is a bit high, maybe 0.65 is more realistic.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook