NPN Transistor Circuit Analysis

In summary, the conversation is about determining the voltage level at V3 and the state of each transistor, as well as calculating β for each transistor. The two given cases involve different voltage values for V1 and V2. The solution approach involves finding the base and collector currents for Q3 and using the voltage drop of the 240Ω resistor to find V3. In Case #2, there will be current into the base of Q2, leading to collector current as well.
bschwartz

Homework Statement

Determine the voltage level at V3. For each case also determine which transistors are on and saturated, on and active, and which are off. Let R1=R2=R3=2.2kΩ and let Rc=240Ω and Vcc=5V. Calculate β for each transistor as well.

We are to assume that if the transistor is on, then it is in the saturated state so Vce=0.2V. If β>20 then the transistor is in active and Vce=2V+. Also, Vbe=0.6V if the transistor is on

Case #1: V1=V2=0V
Case #2: V1=0V V2=5V

wd2cW.png

Homework Equations

Ic=β*Ib
KVL, KCL

The Attempt at a Solution

Ok, so here's what I did for the first case where both V1 and V2 are 0V. Since they are 0V, Ib=0A and therefore β=∞ for both Q1 and Q2, right? If so, then I'm basically left with the "upper" circuit containing Q3 and V3.

I then found Ib=Vcc/(240+2.2k)
Ib = 0.002A

I did the same approach for Ic=Vcc/(240)
Ic = 0.0208A

β=10.1 so Q3 is then on and in the saturated region. To find V3 I simply subtracted the voltage drop of the 240Ω resistor

V3 = 5 - (240*.002A) = 4.51V

I don't know if this is right at all since I've never done any circuit analysis with transistors before. If it's right, I'm still completely lost on how to start Case #2 where V2=5V and V1=0V. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
Your method looks right, though I haven't checked the arithmetic. It is unusual to use β in the two ways you have. Writing β=∞ is not right. Just say IB=0 and therefore IC=β*0=0.

When V2=5v there will be current into the base of Q2, hence collector current, too.

excuse me. , where are you find this question. I also need this similar question to finish my homework

1. What is an NPN transistor?

An NPN (Negative-Positive-Negative) transistor is a type of bipolar junction transistor (BJT) that is commonly used in electronic circuits. It is made up of three layers of semiconductor material, with two layers of n-type material sandwiching a layer of p-type material. This arrangement allows for the control of current flow through the transistor.

2. How does an NPN transistor work?

An NPN transistor works by using a small amount of current to control a larger current. When a voltage is applied to the base of the transistor, it causes a flow of electrons from the emitter to the collector, allowing current to flow through the transistor. This current can then be amplified or switched by controlling the voltage applied to the base.

3. What is the purpose of NPN transistor circuit analysis?

NPN transistor circuit analysis is used to analyze and understand the behavior of electronic circuits that use NPN transistors. It involves using mathematical models and equations to predict how the circuit will behave under different conditions, and can be used to optimize circuit design and troubleshoot any issues that may arise.

4. What are some common applications of NPN transistor circuits?

NPN transistor circuits are used in a wide variety of electronic devices, including amplifiers, switches, and oscillators. They are also commonly used in digital logic circuits, such as in microprocessors and computer memory.

5. What are some tips for analyzing NPN transistor circuits?

When analyzing NPN transistor circuits, it is important to first identify the type of circuit (amplifier, switch, etc.) and the purpose of each component. It is also helpful to draw a clear and accurate circuit diagram and use Kirchhoff's laws to analyze the circuit. Additionally, understanding the characteristics and limitations of NPN transistors, such as the maximum voltage and current ratings, can aid in accurate analysis.