1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

NPN Transistor Circuit Analysis

1. Jan 24, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Determine the voltage level at V3. For each case also determine which transistors are on and saturated, on and active, and which are off. Let R1=R2=R3=2.2kΩ and let Rc=240Ω and Vcc=5V. Calculate β for each transistor as well.

We are to assume that if the transistor is on, then it is in the saturated state so Vce=0.2V. If β>20 then the transistor is in active and Vce=2V+. Also, Vbe=0.6V if the transistor is on

Case #1: V1=V2=0V
    Case #2: V1=0V V2=5V

wd2cW.png

2. Relevant equations
    Ic=β*Ib
    KVL, KCL

3. The attempt at a solution
    Ok, so here's what I did for the first case where both V1 and V2 are 0V. Since they are 0V, Ib=0A and therefore β=∞ for both Q1 and Q2, right? If so, then I'm basically left with the "upper" circuit containing Q3 and V3.

I then found Ib=Vcc/(240+2.2k)
    Ib = 0.002A

I did the same approach for Ic=Vcc/(240)
    Ic = 0.0208A

β=10.1 so Q3 is then on and in the saturated region. To find V3 I simply subtracted the voltage drop of the 240Ω resistor

V3 = 5 - (240*.002A) = 4.51V

I don't know if this is right at all since I've never done any circuit analysis with transistors before. If it's right, I'm still completely lost on how to start Case #2 where V2=5V and V1=0V. Any help is greatly appreciated.

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 25, 2012 #2

NascentOxygen

Staff: Mentor

Your method looks right, though I haven't checked the arithmetic. It is unusual to use β in the two ways you have. Writing β=∞ is not right. Just say IB=0 and therefore IC=β*0=0.

When V2=5v there will be current into the base of Q2, hence collector current, too.

4. Jan 26, 2012 #3
    excuse me. , where are you find this question. I also need this similar question to finish my homework

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook