Black and white marbles probability question

• B
  • Thread starter bahamagreen
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Probability
In summary, the conversation discusses two-marble and three-marble probabilities of selecting a black marble. Adding a black marble to the two-marble bag changes the probability to 2/3, but this does not reveal the colors of the initial two marbles. The statement that three marbles with 2/3 probability of selecting black must mean two black and one white is incorrect. There are other possible combinations.
bahamagreen
TL;DR Summary
Bag with two marbles, each p=.5 of being black or white. After adding a third black marble, what is p of selecting a black marble from the bag? I get 2/3 which impossibly reveals the two marbles' colors. Not finding the flaw...
Two-marble probabilities
BB 1/4
BW 1/2
WW 1/4

Three-marble probabilities of selecting a black
B BB 1
B BW 2/3
B WW 1/3

Probability of selecting a black marble if we add a black marble to the two marble bag
(1 x 1/4) + (2/3 x 1/2) + (1/3 x 1/4) = 2/3

Three marbles with 2/3 probability of selecting black must mean two black and one white. If I remove (mentally) the black marble I added, I impossibly "know" the colors of the initial randomly selected two-marble bag (although I'm only right half the time).

Physics news on Phys.org
bahamagreen said:
Summary:: Bag with two marbles, each p=.5 of being black or white. After adding a third black marble, what is p of selecting a black marble from the bag? I get 2/3 which impossibly reveals the two marbles' colors. Not finding the flaw...

Three marbles with 2/3 probability of selecting black must mean two black and one white.
This is not correct. 2/3 probability of selecting black could also mean a 1/4 probability of one black and two white plus a 1/2 probability two black and one white plus a 1/4 probability of three black.

I mean selecting one marble and it being black...

Pretty trivial to just jot down the very small number of possible situations and it will be obvious what the answer is.

bahamagreen said:
I mean selecting one marble and it being black...
Yes, understood

Dale said:
Yes, understood
OK, thanks, been suspecting the "must" in that statement was too exclusive.

1. What is the probability of drawing a black marble on the first try?

The probability of drawing a black marble on the first try is 1/2 or 50%. This is because there are 10 marbles in total, with 5 being black and 5 being white, so the chances of drawing a black marble are equal to the chances of drawing a white marble.

2. What is the probability of drawing a white marble on the second try if a black marble was already drawn on the first try?

The probability of drawing a white marble on the second try after a black marble was drawn on the first try is 4/9 or approximately 44.44%. This is because after the first draw, there are 9 marbles left, with 4 being white and 5 being black. So the chances of drawing a white marble on the second try are 4 out of 9.

3. What is the probability of drawing a black marble on the third try if a black marble was already drawn on the first two tries?

The probability of drawing a black marble on the third try after a black marble was drawn on the first two tries is 3/8 or 37.5%. This is because after the first two draws, there are 8 marbles left, with 3 being black and 5 being white. So the chances of drawing a black marble on the third try are 3 out of 8.

4. What is the probability of drawing a white marble on the third try if a black marble was drawn on the first try and a white marble was drawn on the second try?

The probability of drawing a white marble on the third try after a black marble was drawn on the first try and a white marble was drawn on the second try is 2/7 or approximately 28.57%. This is because after the first two draws, there are 7 marbles left, with 2 being white and 5 being black. So the chances of drawing a white marble on the third try are 2 out of 7.

5. What is the probability of drawing a black marble on the fourth try if a black marble was drawn on the first three tries?

The probability of drawing a black marble on the fourth try after a black marble was drawn on the first three tries is 1/6 or approximately 16.67%. This is because after the first three draws, there are 6 marbles left, with 1 being black and 5 being white. So the chances of drawing a black marble on the fourth try are 1 out of 6.