Infinite supply of marbles probability problem

In summary, A has an infinite supply of marbles and places them two at a time in numerical order into an urn. B randomly removes marbles, and the probability that marble number 1 will remain in the urn forever is zero as n approaches infinity.
Roni1985

Homework Statement

A has an infinite supply of marbles numbered 1,2,3,... A places the marbles, two at a time and in numerical order, into an urn (i.e. first 1 and 2, then 3 and 4, etc.). Each time A puts two marbles, B reaches in and pulls on out. This process goes on forever.

c) If B always removes marbles randomly (each marble in the urn equally likely to e removed), with what probability will marble number 1 remain in the urn forever?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Here is what I did:
1,2 =>prob that 1 stays is 1/2

1,3,4 => prob that 1 stays is 2/3

1,3,4,6 =>prob that 1 stays is 3/4

until (n-1)/n

so we need to multiply them all and we are left with 1/n
so as n->inf, the probability that it happens is zero ?

Is my answer correct ?

Thanks,
Roni.

Physics news on Phys.org

Seems fine to me.

Dick said:
Seems fine to me.

I see, thanks very much :)

1. What is the probability of drawing a specific color marble from an infinite supply of marbles?

The probability of drawing a specific color marble from an infinite supply of marbles is impossible to determine as it depends on the ratio of that specific color to the total amount of marbles in the infinite supply.

2. Is it possible to draw every color marble at least once from an infinite supply?

Yes, it is possible to draw every color marble at least once from an infinite supply. However, the probability of drawing every color in a specific order becomes increasingly unlikely as the number of colors and marbles in the infinite supply increases.

3. If I draw a marble and put it back in the infinite supply, will the probability of drawing the same marble again change?

No, the probability of drawing a specific marble will not change regardless of whether it is put back in the infinite supply or not. Each draw is independent and the probability remains constant.

4. Can the infinite supply of marbles contain an equal amount of each color?

Yes, the infinite supply of marbles can theoretically contain an equal amount of each color. However, in practice, it is highly unlikely as the number of colors and marbles would have to be precisely balanced.

5. How does the probability of drawing a specific color marble change if I remove a certain number of marbles from the infinite supply?

The probability of drawing a specific color marble will change if marbles are removed from the infinite supply. The probability will decrease if the removed marbles contain the specific color, and increase if they do not contain the specific color. However, the exact change in probability cannot be determined without knowing the total number of marbles in the infinite supply and the number of marbles removed.