Black Hole singularities in Quantum Gravity

In summary, the conversation discusses the existence of singularities in quantum gravity and the possibility of particles collapsing into them. It also mentions the lack of a specific theory of quantum gravity and the speculative nature of the discussion. Additionally, the conversation touches on the difficulty of answering such questions and the use of resources, such as the provided link, to explore these ideas further.
Intrastellar
Gold Member
TL;DR Summary
How are black hole singularities resolved in QG ?
If singularities don't exist in QG then what prevents particles from just collapsing falling further until they collapse into a singularity? Is there a repulsive force in QG ? Is time infinitely stretched near a singularities? What else could be happening?

Physics news on Phys.org
What is quantum gravity? I mean, which theory specifically do you have in mind? As far as I know there isn't, as of now, such a theory, so your question probably can be answered only very speculatively.

I'm happy with the answer for any of them.

Why is such a question difficult to answer ? Why is it not just listing possibilities and trying models for them ?

• Skeptical
Likes PeroK
Hey, why was this changed to B level ?? I'll have you know that I am the graduatest of the graduates. I deserve the A level just as much as the next guy, even if my question betrays it!

Last edited:
  • Haha
Likes Motore
Intrastellar said:
Hey, why was this changed to B level ?? I'll have you know that I am the graduatest of the graduates. I deserve the A level just as much as the next guy, even if my question betrays it!
https://arxiv.org/pdf/gr-qc/0702144.pdf

Likes Demystifier
Looks like a very helpful resource, thanks!

1. What is a black hole singularity in quantum gravity?

A black hole singularity is a point of infinite density and zero volume at the center of a black hole. It is a prediction of Einstein's theory of general relativity and suggests that the laws of physics break down at this point.

2. How is quantum gravity related to black hole singularities?

Quantum gravity is a theory that aims to reconcile the principles of general relativity and quantum mechanics. It is necessary to understand black hole singularities because they occur at the intersection of these two theories.

3. Can black hole singularities be observed or measured?

No, black hole singularities cannot be observed or measured directly. They are hidden behind the event horizon of a black hole, which is the point of no return for anything that enters it.

4. What happens to matter and energy at a black hole singularity?

According to general relativity, matter and energy are crushed into infinite density and the laws of physics as we know them no longer apply. However, in quantum gravity, it is theorized that matter and energy may be converted into a state of pure energy or "quantum foam" at the singularity.

5. Are there any other theories about what happens at a black hole singularity?

Yes, there are alternative theories such as loop quantum gravity and string theory that offer different explanations for what happens at a black hole singularity. These theories are still being studied and researched, and there is currently no consensus on which theory is correct.