Black Holes in String Theory - calculation help needed

In summary, the author is having trouble using equations (2.1) and (2.4) to derive (2.5) and (2.6). When he does the calculation, he does not get any \phi' terms. He is wondering where these terms come from. He is grateful for any help.
ilp89
I have a question about the paper:

C. G. . Callan, R. C. Myers and M. J. Perry, “Black Holes In String Theory,” Nucl. Phys. B
311, 673 (1989).

I have attached the relevant section.

I am having trouble using equations (2.1) and (2.4) to derive (2.5) and (2.6). When I do the calculation, I do not get any [itex]\phi'[/itex] terms (i.e. first derivatives --- I do get all the second-derivatives of phi and all other terms).

For example, I don't understand how the (tt) and (θθ) equations can have [itex]\phi'[/itex] terms. Doesn't (2.1a) contain
[itex]\nabla_{a}\nabla_{b}\phi = \partial_a \partial_b \varphi(r) = 0[/itex] unless [itex]a = b = r [/itex]?
Thus shouldn't only the (rr) equation contain a [itex]\phi[/itex]-term... and shouldn't it just be a second derivative?

For another example, since [itex]\nabla \phi[/itex] is first-order in [itex]\lambda[/itex], isn't [itex](\nabla \phi)^2[/itex] second-order in [itex]\lambda[/itex] and thus irrelevant for equation (2.6)? This would lead me to conclude that there should be no first derivative of [itex]\phi[/itex] in (2.6). Where does it come from?

I would greatly appreciate some insight. Tell me where I am going wrong!

Thanks in advance,
Chris

Attachments

• BlackHolesStringTheoryExcerpt.pdf
    139 KB · Views: 191
Physics news on Phys.org
Maybe I should clarify my question, in order not to scare people away. What I am asking should not take too much time for someone familiar with general relativity.

I am only asking that you look at equation (2.1a), mentally insert (2.4) into it, and let me know how a phi-prime appeared in all three equations (2.5).

I am very grateful to anyone who tries to help.

Thanks!
Chris

Does anyone have any ideas?

I might need to reproduce this calculation in front of my professor tomorrow evening, so I will be extremely grateful for any help soon.

Chris

I have no idea how to understand these equations and have very little experience but from a computer programming perspective I can usually look through foreign "code" and get a general idea.

From the excerpt provided I looked at figure (2.5) and looked very closely at lines (tt) and (θθ) I don't see the phi-prime symbol ϕ′ but I do see φ' several times.

Sorry if this is no help at all, I'm trying to learn these things coming from a different perspective.

You are right - I have accidentally been using [itex]\phi'[/itex] and [itex]\varphi'[/itex] interchangeably, since they differ only by a multiplicative factor. You can see this from equation (2.4) since [itex]\phi_0[/itex] is an arbitrary constant.

But I still don't understand why [itex]\varphi'[/itex] should appear anywhere in any equation of (2.5).

I can rephrase the question as:

Using (2.4), what is [itex]\nabla_a \nabla_b \phi[/itex] ?

It seems like a very easy question to me, but my answer to that questions seems to be in contradiction with what is in (2.5).

Please keep asking questions so we can figure this out together.

Thank you,
Chris

ilp89 said:
[itex]\nabla_{a}\nabla_{b}\phi = \partial_a \partial_b \varphi(r)[/itex]

This equality is not correct in curved spacetime, and it looks like the text is using curved spacetime (i.e., gravity is present). In curved spacetime there are extra terms in the covariant derivative [itex]\nabla_a[/itex] involving the connection coefficients.

PeterDonis -

Thank you very much! You figured it out. Indeed [itex]\nabla_a \phi = \partial_a \phi[/itex] since [itex]\phi[/itex] is a scalar field, but the second covariant derivative must incorporate the connection coefficients and the [itex]\partial_a \phi[/itex]'s. I feel silly for overlooking this - my mind was stuck for very long.

Anyway, thanks again for the help. I am very grateful.

Chris

Just to check:

I also need to use [itex]\square \phi = g^{ab} \nabla_a \nabla_b \phi[/itex] - correct?

Yes, it is. Alright - everything works out perfectly now.

Thanks again.

1. What is a black hole in string theory?

A black hole in string theory is a region of space where the gravitational pull is so strong that nothing, not even light, can escape. It is formed when a massive star collapses under its own weight, creating a singularity or a point of infinite density.

2. How is string theory used to study black holes?

String theory is a theoretical framework that attempts to reconcile general relativity (the theory of gravity) with quantum mechanics. It proposes that all particles are made of tiny, vibrating strings. These strings can be used to study the behavior of black holes, providing a more complete understanding of their properties.

3. Can string theory accurately calculate the properties of black holes?

String theory is still a work in progress and has not yet been fully tested or proven. However, it has shown promise in explaining certain aspects of black holes, such as their entropy and information paradox. Further research and calculations are needed to fully understand the behavior of black holes in the context of string theory.

4. What is the information paradox in black holes?

The information paradox is a puzzle in physics that arises when considering the behavior of information (such as the characteristics of particles) that falls into a black hole. According to the laws of quantum mechanics, information cannot be destroyed, but in the case of a black hole, it seems to disappear. String theory offers a potential explanation for this paradox, suggesting that information may be encoded on the event horizon of a black hole in the form of holographic data.

5. Are there any practical applications of studying black holes in string theory?

Studying black holes in string theory has the potential to provide a deeper understanding of the fundamental laws of the universe. It may also lead to advancements in fields such as quantum computing and space exploration. However, practical applications are still in the early stages and may require further developments in string theory.