Blackbody Radiation - Peak wavelength

• Thread starter teme92
  • Start date

Homework Statement

The Planck blackbody spectrum is given by

[tex]u(ω,t)=\frac{ħω^3}{π^2c^3(e^{βħω}-1)}[/tex]

Show that the peak of the Planck spectrum for a blackbody at a temperature T occurs at the wavelength

[tex]λ_{max}T=0.29[/tex]

where T is in Kelvin and λmax is in cm.

Homework Equations

[tex]\frac{d(ω,T)}{dω}=0[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

So using the equation above I get down to:

[tex](3-βħω)(e^{βħω})-3=0[/tex]

This is a transcendental equation. I said:

[tex]x=βħω[/tex]

I've tried using the bisection method to solve but my answer doesn't match up with what it should as from the Wien Displacement Law it should be 0.29 for λ in cm. If anyone could help explain the solving for x, I would greatly appreciate it.

Answers and Replies

Charles Link
Homework Helper
Insights Author
Gold Member
This one is somewhat complicated by the fact that you first need to convert the Planck function to a wavelength spectral distribution before you find the maximum in the wavelength spectral distribution (density) function. You get a different answer if you try to work the problem (finding the maximum) with the distribution (density) function in frequency space.

If its converted to the wavelength I got.

[tex]x=\frac{hc}{λkT}[/tex]

[tex]5(e^x-1)=xe^x[/tex]

Which is a similar equation to solve. Where would I go from here?

Likes Charles Link
Charles Link
Homework Helper
Insights Author
Gold Member
## e^{-x}=1-x/5 ##. Numeric solution with x not equal to zero. x=4.95 approximately.

I don't understand how you solved for x. I know normally with an exponential, a natural log would be involved.

Charles Link
Homework Helper
Insights Author
Gold Member
## e^{-x} ## is going to be nearly zero. On a first iteration, ## x=5 ##. Taylor series can get you about 2 or 3 decimal places in one or two iterations. Otherwise iterate ##x=5(1-e^{-x} ) ## without any Taylor series. That's probably much quicker.

Last edited:
Charles Link
Homework Helper
Insights Author
Gold Member
Additional comment: You already did the hardest part. Using iterative method (see post #6), you can start with ##x=5 ## on the right side and I think you get ## x=4.95 ## on the left. Take this 4.95 and insert it into the right side, and I think you get close to 4 decimal place accuracy for your answer. This is the number you need to write out Wien's law with extreme precision. (## h ## ,## c ##, and ## k_b ## are already known. Plug it in and you should have the right answer.)

Last edited: