Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Blackbody radiation - quantum to classical

1. Jun 11, 2013 #1
    I have a question regarding the parameters that reduces the Planck distribution to the Rayleigh-Jeans distribution.

According to the Planck distribution, the average energy in a unit volume in the [itex]\nu[/itex] frequency mode of a blackbody radiation field is [itex]<U> = \frac{h\nu}{e \frac{h\nu}{KT} - 1}[/itex]. And , I see that in both the limits [itex]\nu \rightarrow 0[/itex] and [itex]T \rightarrow \infty[/itex], the expression reduces to the classical Rayleigh-Jeans form.

Are these two limits a part of the correspondence principle?

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 12, 2013 #2

Jano L.

Gold Member

What do you mean by correspondence principle exactly?

Mathematically, the above formula approaches ##kT## in both limits.

In practice, we check the limit by keeping temperature close to common temperatures and look at low frequencies.

The limit ##T\rightarrow\infty## is hard to realize.

I think the comparison to ##kT## makes little sense as a check on the correctness of the Planck formula in this limit. Even in classical theory, the average energy should be lower than ##kT## for high temperatures.

This is because the assumptions of Rayleigh and Jeans are very implausible for high temperatures; radiation has to be enclosed in a box with perfectly reflecting walls, but this is very unlikely to be possible, as the known metals melt down for temperatures higher than few thousand K. The Rayleigh-Jeans derivation has restricted validity even from the viewpoint of classical theory, although this is often being forgotten today.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook