Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Blackbody radiation - quantum to classical

1. Jun 11, 2013 #1
    I have a question regarding the parameters that reduces the Planck distribution to the Rayleigh-Jeans distribution.

According to the Planck distribution, the average energy in a unit volume in the [itex]\nu[/itex] frequency mode of a blackbody radiation field is [itex]<U> = \frac{h\nu}{e \frac{h\nu}{KT} - 1}[/itex]. And , I see that in both the limits [itex]\nu \rightarrow 0[/itex] and [itex]T \rightarrow \infty[/itex], the expression reduces to the classical Rayleigh-Jeans form.

Are these two limits a part of the correspondence principle?

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 12, 2013 #2

Jano L.

Gold Member

What do you mean by correspondence principle exactly?

Mathematically, the above formula approaches ##kT## in both limits.

In practice, we check the limit by keeping temperature close to common temperatures and look at low frequencies.

The limit ##T\rightarrow\infty## is hard to realize.

I think the comparison to ##kT## makes little sense as a check on the correctness of the Planck formula in this limit. Even in classical theory, the average energy should be lower than ##kT## for high temperatures.

This is because the assumptions of Rayleigh and Jeans are very implausible for high temperatures; radiation has to be enclosed in a box with perfectly reflecting walls, but this is very unlikely to be possible, as the known metals melt down for temperatures higher than few thousand K. The Rayleigh-Jeans derivation has restricted validity even from the viewpoint of classical theory, although this is often being forgotten today.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook