Block and bullet collision problem

In summary, the problem involves a block attached to a cable that is initially at rest and is released to swing as a pendulum. The block then collides with a bullet of mass m, which embeds in the block and stops its motion completely. To find the speed of the bullet before the collision, we apply the conservation of energy principle to the block, taking the initial kinetic energy to be zero and the final to be the moment just before the collision. This results in the equation 1/2m(V2i)^2=MgL, which can be solved for V2i.
reb659

Homework Statement

A Block of mass M is attached to a cable of length L. It is initially held at the horizontal position at rest. It is then released in the motion of a pendulum and collides with a bullet of mass m, traveling at a speed of Vi, at the lowest point of its trajectory. The bullet embeds in the block and stops its motion completely. What is the speed of the bullet just before it hits the block?

Homework Equations

conservation of linear momentum
cons. of energy

The Attempt at a Solution

I know cons. of linear momentum applies regardless of the collision type, so taking the initial to be the moment before the collision and the final to be after the collision I get:

mV1i = -MV2i

It seems like an inelastic collision, so cons. of energy does not apply during the collision. I'm a bit stuck here.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
reb659 said:
I know cons. of linear momentum applies regardless of the collision type, so taking the initial to be the moment before the collision and the final to be after the collision I get:

mV1i = -MV2i
Good. What's V2?

It seems like an inelastic collision, so cons. of energy does not apply during the collision.
That's true: Conservation of energy does not apply during the collision. But what about during the pendulum motion of the block?

I let V2i to be the speed of the block right before the collision.

Conservation of energy would still apply during the pendulum motion. So I was thinking I could take the initial moment to be when the block is horizontal and the final to be just before the collision, right before it gets hit by the bullet. so in addition to my first equation I'd get:

1/2m(V1i)^2+1/2M(V2i)^2-Mg(L)=0.

reb659 said:
Conservation of energy would still apply during the pendulum motion.
Right. The mechanical energy of the block is conserved.
So I was thinking I could take the initial moment to be when the block is horizontal and the final to be just before the collision, right before it gets hit by the bullet. so in addition to my first equation I'd get:

1/2m(V1i)^2+1/2M(V2i)^2-Mg(L)=0.
Treat the swinging block by itself. (Don't involve the bullet.) What is its energy when the cable is horizontal? When vertical? (You're almost there.)

I don't really see why I would ignore the bullet. Isn't the energy of the bullet conserved too?

reb659 said:
I don't really see why I would ignore the bullet. Isn't the energy of the bullet conserved too?
You can include the bullet's energy if you want to, but do it right. What's the change in the bullet's energy during the time that the block swings down? (I would advise against this approach.)

Better is just to realize that the block's energy is conserved. That's all you need to know to solve for V2i. Who cares about the bullet? You'll worry about the bullet during the collision.

Ok I see what you are saying now. Just for practice, would the change in energy of the bullet be zero?

For the block, the initial kinetic energy would be zero because its released from rest.
The final kinetic energy, before it hits the vertical point would be V2i since that's the moment during the motion I want. The change in gravitational potential energy would be -MgL because the initial is greater than the final. So I would get 1/2m(V2i)^2=MgL and from there I can solve for V2i.

reb659 said:
Just for practice, would the change in energy of the bullet be zero?
That's what I would say, but I strongly suggest you don't "practice" such an approach. :wink:

You have no information about the bullet's change in energy during the time the block was falling. For all we know, the bullet's was fired one microsecond before the block reached it's lowest point. But the bullet is irrelevant to solving for the block's speed, which is what we are trying to do.

The right way is to apply conservation of energy to the block--we know all we need to know about its energy.

For the block, the initial kinetic energy would be zero because its released from rest.
The final kinetic energy, before it hits the vertical point would be V2i since that's the moment during the motion I want. The change in gravitational potential energy would be -MgL because the initial is greater than the final. So I would get 1/2m(V2i)^2=MgL and from there I can solve for V2i.
Good! That's the way.

1. What is the "block and bullet collision problem"?

The "block and bullet collision problem" refers to a physics problem where a block is initially at rest and a bullet is fired at it. The goal is to determine the resulting motion of the block after the bullet hits it.

2. What factors affect the outcome of the collision?

The outcome of the collision is affected by various factors such as the mass and velocity of the bullet and the block, the angle at which the bullet hits the block, and the coefficient of friction between the block and the surface it is on.

3. How can this problem be solved?

This problem can be solved using principles of conservation of momentum and energy. By applying these principles, equations can be derived to calculate the final velocities of the bullet and the block after the collision.

4. Are there any assumptions made in solving this problem?

Yes, there are a few assumptions made in solving this problem. These include assuming that the collision is elastic (no energy is lost), neglecting air resistance, and assuming that the block remains on a flat surface after the collision.

5. What are the real-life applications of this problem?

The "block and bullet collision problem" has various real-life applications, such as in the study of car crashes, bulletproof vests, and billiards. It is also used in the design and testing of airbags and other safety devices.