Block and cylinder down an incline

In summary: Yes. You're almost there. Just tidy up the signs and you're good to go.In summary, the problem involves a block of mass m1 attached to the axle of a uniform solid cylinder of mass m2 and radius R by massless strings. The two accelerate down a slope with an angle \theta with the horizontal. The cylinder rolls without slipping and the block slides with a coefficient of kinetic friction \mu between the block and slope. The strings are attached to the cylinder's axle with frictionless loops, allowing the cylinder to roll freely without any torque from the strings. The problem asks to find an expression
vladimir69

Homework Statement

A block of mass m1 is attached to the axle of a uniform solid cylinder of mass m2 and radius R by massless strings. The two accelerate down a slope that makes an angle [itex]\theta[/itex] with the horizontal. The cylinder rolls without slipping and the block slides with coefficient of kinetic friction [itex]\mu[/itex] between the block and slope. The strings are attached to the cylinders axle with frictionless loops so that the cylinder can roll freely without any torque from the string. Find an expression for the acceleration of the pair, assuming that the string remains taut.

Homework Equations

F=ma
T=tension in string
N=normal force
a=acceleration of system

The Attempt at a Solution

I applied Newton to the block and cylinder separately.
For the block (choosing axis with x direction parallel to the slope and y direction perpendicular to the slope)
y direction:
[tex]N-m_{1}g\cos\theta=0[/tex]
x direction:
[tex]T-\mu N + m_{1}g\sin\theta=m_{1}a[/tex]

For cylinder
x direction:
[tex]-T+m_{2}g\sin\theta = m_{2}a[/tex]

I can solve for the acceleration but its not in agreement with the answer in the book, so perhaps I am leaving something out. Could be the torque on the cylinder but not sure about that.

Anyone got any ideas?

Physics news on Phys.org
Did they give a diagram along with the question?
Which moves first? The block or the cylinder?
and if you meant 'strings' then there should be tension from each string acting on the block, right?

Last edited:
yeah there was a diagram. the cylinder is closer to the bottom and the block is up the top

vladimir69 said:
yeah there was a diagram. the cylinder is closer to the bottom and the block is up the top

Yea, thanks for that info. Let me see. hm

There are two strings connecting the objects, right?

I got an answer now and would like to know if its correct.
[tex]a = 2 \frac{(m_{1} + m_{2})g sin\theta - \mu m_{1}g cos\theta}{3 m_{2} + 2 m_{1}}[/tex]

yeah that looks about right
how did you go about getting that result

Write the correct force equations for both the block and the cylinder and also the torque equation for the cylinder since its rolling.
Hint : Friction provides torque for the cylinder to rotate.

ahh yes the correct force equations... i am guessing i have them correct.
i am not sure about the torque on the cylinder, perhaps gravity also provides torque to the cylinder?
but something must be wrong because according to my equations i can solve for the acceleration without the need for the torque equation

Gravity is a central force. It can't quite provide torque for rotation. Only friction does it in this case.

note: x-axis taken to be parallel to the slope of the incline
Torque equation for cylinder:
[tex]-Rm_{2}g\sin\theta=\frac{1}{2}m_{2}R^2\alpha[/tex]

=>[tex]R=-\frac{2g}{\alpha}\sin\theta[/tex]

Forces for block: y direction
[tex]N_{1}-m_{1}g\cos\theta=0[/tex]

Forces on block: x direction (*)
[tex]
T-\mu N + m_{1}g\sin\theta=m_{1}a
[/tex]

Forces on cylinder: x direction (*)
[tex]
-T+m_{2}g\sin\theta - \mu N_{2} = m_{2}a
[/tex]

Forces on cylinder: y direction
[tex]N_{2}-m_{2}g\cos\theta=0[/tex]

The only difference with my first answer is that I added friction to the force equation for the cylinder along the x axis, but i still don't need the torque equation to solve for acceleration. So I think it can be narrowed down to either block or cylinder force equation along the x-axis (marked with asterisks). The only thing I can think of is the accelerations, a, for those equations is different but that doesn't sound right to me as they should both be accelerating at the same rate down the hill.

Careful: You cannot assume that the friction force on the cylinder equals μN. That friction force is static friction, and it will have whatever value is required to prevent slipping up to a maximum of μN. Hint: Call the friction force on the cylinder F and treat it as one of your unknowns.

You have three unknowns and you'll need three equations.

[tex] -RF_{f}=\frac{1}{2}m_{2}R^2\alpha[/tex]
=>
[tex]F_{f} = -\frac{1}{2}m_{2}R\alpha [/tex]

[tex]T=\mu m_{1}g\cos\theta-m_{1}g\sin\theta+m_{1}a[/tex]

[tex] -T+m_{2}g\sin\theta - F_{f} = m_{2}a[/tex]
[tex]T= m_{2}g\sin\theta - F_{f} -m_{2}a[/tex]

popping everything in
[tex] \mu m_{1}g\cos\theta-m_{1}g\sin\theta+m_{1}a=m_{2}g\sin\theta +\frac{1}{2}m_{2}R\alpha -m_{2}a [/tex]
but
[tex]a=R\alpha [/tex]
so
[tex] \mu m_{1}g\cos\theta-m_{1}g\sin\theta+m_{1}a=m_{2}g\sin\theta +\frac{1}{2}m_{2}a -m_{2}a [/tex]
[tex](m_{1}+m_{2})g\sin\theta-\frac{1}{2}m_{2}a=m_{1}a+\mu m_{1} g \cos\theta[/tex]
[tex]m_{1}a+\frac{1}{2}m_{2}a = (m_{1}+m_{2})g\sin\theta+\mu m_{1} g\cos\theta[/tex]
[tex]a(m_{1}+\frac{1}{2}m_{2})=(m_{1}+m_{2})g\sin\theta+\mu m_{1} g\cos\theta[/tex]
something like that anyway
i am more interested in knowing did i get the 3 equations for the 3 unknowns right?

thanks for the help Doc Al
and also sarge99

So that is the answer. One of my force equations was wrong :O
Thanks for the answer, vladimir

vladimir69 said:
[tex] -RF_{f}=\frac{1}{2}m_{2}R^2\alpha[/tex]
=>
[tex]F_{f} = -\frac{1}{2}m_{2}R\alpha [/tex]
Get rid of that minus sign. Express alpha in terms of a, which you do later. This is your first equation.

[tex]T=\mu m_{1}g\cos\theta-m_{1}g\sin\theta+m_{1}a[/tex]
Good. This is your second equation.

[tex] -T+m_{2}g\sin\theta - F_{f} = m_{2}a[/tex]
[tex]T= m_{2}g\sin\theta - F_{f} -m_{2}a[/tex]
Good. This is your third equation.

popping everything in
[tex] \mu m_{1}g\cos\theta-m_{1}g\sin\theta+m_{1}a=m_{2}g\sin\theta +\frac{1}{2}m_{2}R\alpha -m_{2}a [/tex]
but
[tex]a=R\alpha [/tex]
so
[tex] \mu m_{1}g\cos\theta-m_{1}g\sin\theta+m_{1}a=m_{2}g\sin\theta +\frac{1}{2}m_{2}a -m_{2}a [/tex]
[tex](m_{1}+m_{2})g\sin\theta-\frac{1}{2}m_{2}a=m_{1}a+\mu m_{1} g \cos\theta[/tex]
[tex]m_{1}a+\frac{1}{2}m_{2}a = (m_{1}+m_{2})g\sin\theta+\mu m_{1} g\cos\theta[/tex]
[tex]a(m_{1}+\frac{1}{2}m_{2})=(m_{1}+m_{2})g\sin\theta+\mu m_{1} g\cos\theta[/tex]
something like that anyway
You have a sign error, carried from your first equation above. (But almost there! :smile:)

Got it thanks Doc Al

1. How does the angle of incline affect the motion of a block and cylinder down an incline?

The angle of incline determines the steepness of the slope and therefore affects the acceleration of the block and cylinder. The steeper the incline, the greater the acceleration, and the faster the object will roll down the incline.

2. What is the relationship between the mass of the block and cylinder and its acceleration down an incline?

According to Newton's second law of motion, the acceleration of an object is directly proportional to the net force acting on it and inversely proportional to its mass. This means that a heavier block and cylinder will have a slower acceleration down an incline compared to a lighter one.

3. What is the role of friction in the motion of a block and cylinder down an incline?

Friction is a force that opposes the motion of an object and acts in the opposite direction to its movement. In the case of a block and cylinder down an incline, friction will act in the direction up the incline, slowing down the object's motion. The amount of friction depends on the surface of the incline and the materials of the block and cylinder.

4. Can the block and cylinder ever reach a state of equilibrium down an incline?

Yes, the block and cylinder can reach a state of equilibrium if the force of friction is equal to the force of gravity pulling the object down the incline. In this state, the object will no longer accelerate and will maintain a constant speed down the incline.

5. How does the shape and size of the block and cylinder affect its motion down an incline?

The shape and size of the block and cylinder can affect its motion down an incline in several ways. A larger object will experience more air resistance and therefore have a slower acceleration down the incline. The shape of the object can also affect its aerodynamics and the amount of friction it experiences on the incline.