Block and wedge system all details

In summary, the conversation involves a question about a block placed on top of a wedge at an angle alpha, and the request for a diagram to help explain the situation and the forces acting on the block. The original poster only knows that there will be a force of mgsin(alpha) acting on the block, and wants to know how the frictionless surface will affect the wedge. They are advised to draw a diagram and identify all the forces acting on the block. The conversation ends with a reminder to make a contribution before seeking help on the forum.
smartyrohan12

Homework Statement

okay this isn't really a question, but i didnt knew where to post it, tell me if it has to be posted somewhere else. a pic of the diagram would help a lot.
A block is kept on the top of a wedge of angle alpha, can u explain what all happens, keeping all surfaces frictionless, what are their velocities and acceleration.

Homework Equations

I don't know

The Attempt at a Solution

i only know that a mgsin(alpha) will act on the block, nothing else..

Physics news on Phys.org
Draw a diagram.
Put in the forces acting on the block.
Resolve forces in components along the direction of motion and perpendicular to this direction.

but i want to know how will the wedge be affected as the surface is frictionless...

Draw a diagram and put in all the forces. It is good to make a contribution yourself first in line with the spirit of this forum.

I appreciate your curiosity and interest in understanding the block and wedge system. To answer your question, let's first define what a block and wedge system is. A block and wedge system is a simple machine that consists of a block (a solid object with flat surfaces) and a wedge (a triangular-shaped object). When the block is placed on the wedge, the two objects form a system that can be used to lift or move heavy objects.

Now, let's address your question about what happens when a block is kept on top of a wedge with frictionless surfaces. In this scenario, the block will experience a force due to gravity, which is equal to its mass multiplied by the acceleration due to gravity (mg). This force will act downwards, towards the ground. Additionally, since the wedge has an angle alpha, a component of this force (mg sin(alpha)) will act in the direction of the wedge's inclined surface.

Since the surfaces are frictionless, there will be no opposing force acting on the block and wedge system. This means that the block will accelerate downwards with an acceleration equal to g sin(alpha). The wedge, on the other hand, will not accelerate since it is stationary. However, the wedge will experience a reaction force from the block, which will be equal in magnitude to the force exerted by the block on the wedge (mg sin(alpha)). This reaction force will act perpendicular to the inclined surface of the wedge.

In terms of velocities, the block will start with a velocity of 0 and will accelerate downwards due to the force of gravity. The wedge will remain stationary throughout the entire process.

I hope this explanation helps you understand the dynamics of a block and wedge system. If you have any further questions or would like me to clarify anything, please don't hesitate to ask. And for future reference, this type of question would be best posted in the Physics section of the forum. Good luck with your studies!

What is a block and wedge system?

A block and wedge system is a mechanical device made up of two or more connected blocks and one or more wedges that are used to multiply force or change the direction of a force.

How does a block and wedge system work?

The block and wedge system works by utilizing the principle of mechanical advantage, where the input force is spread out over a larger area or distance, resulting in a greater output force. The wedge is inserted between the blocks and the force applied to the system is transferred through the blocks and to the wedge, which then exerts a larger force on the object being moved or lifted.

What are the different types of wedges used in a block and wedge system?

There are two main types of wedges used in a block and wedge system: the inclined plane and the double wedge. The inclined plane wedge has a flat surface and is used to lift or move objects by sliding them up the inclined surface. The double wedge has two inclined planes facing each other and is used to split or cut objects apart.

What are the advantages of using a block and wedge system?

The main advantage of using a block and wedge system is that it allows for the multiplication of force, making it easier to lift or move heavy objects. It also allows for the transfer of force over a longer distance, reducing the amount of force needed to move an object. Additionally, it can be used in various applications such as construction, manufacturing, and transportation.

What are some real-world applications of a block and wedge system?

A block and wedge system can be found in many everyday objects and machines such as doorstops, scissors, pliers, and even zippers. It is also used in larger scale applications such as cranes, pulley systems, and hydraulic jacks. In construction, a block and wedge system is used for lifting and moving heavy materials, while in manufacturing it is used for cutting and shaping materials.