Block of Sandpaper along the ceiling

• Thread starter indietro
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Block
In summary, a 5.49 kg block covered in sandpaper is pushed along the ceiling of a room under construction with a force of 81.6 N at an angle of 70.0° to the horizontal. The coefficient of kinetic friction between the paper and the ceiling is 0.533. To find the acceleration of the block, the x-component of the external force is calculated by subtracting the force of friction from the external force. The normal force is then found by including the y-component of the push, resulting in a positive acceleration.
indietro

Homework Statement

A 5.49 kg block covered in sandpaper is pushed along the ceiling of a room under construction. The block is pushed across the ceiling with a force of 81.6 N directed at an angle of 70.0° to the horizontal. If the coefficient of kinetic friction between the paper and the ceiling is 0.533, what acceleration does the block undergo?

Homework Equations

component forces in x-direction = Fextcos70 - Ff

The Attempt at a Solution

ma = Fextcos70 - uFn
= 81.6cos70 - (0.533)(5.49*9.8)
= 27.9 - 28.7

** so i would get a negative number: that doesn't really make sense. Here I say that the normal force is equal in magnitude to the weight. Is this correct? Or do i need to include the y-component of the push when looking for the normal force?
Help would greatly be appreciated!

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm having trouble with the same problem

indietro said:
Here I say that the normal force is equal in magnitude to the weight. Is this correct? Or do i need to include the y-component of the push when looking for the normal force?

you certainly need to do that. suppose you get an hydraulick and push the block against the
ceiling with 10000N. do you think the normal force is still m.g

It is possible to end up with a negative number. That just means that the friction is too large
and the block won't move

Thank you! when i also consider the y-component of the push when finding Fn it works out :) and ends up with a positive acceleration

1. What is a "Block of Sandpaper along the ceiling"?

A "Block of Sandpaper along the ceiling" refers to a block of sandpaper that has been attached or placed along the ceiling surface. This can be used for various purposes such as sanding down imperfections or preparing the surface for painting.

2. How is a "Block of Sandpaper along the ceiling" used?

The block of sandpaper is typically held with one hand while the other hand moves it back and forth along the surface of the ceiling. This creates friction between the sandpaper and the ceiling surface, allowing for the roughing up of the surface or smoothing out of imperfections.

3. What type of sandpaper is best for a "Block of Sandpaper along the ceiling"?

The type of sandpaper used for this purpose depends on the type of surface being sanded. For rougher surfaces, a coarser grit sandpaper would be more effective, while smoother surfaces may require a finer grit sandpaper. It is important to choose the appropriate grit for the best results.

4. Is it safe to use a "Block of Sandpaper along the ceiling"?

As with any tool, it is important to take safety precautions when using a "Block of Sandpaper along the ceiling". It is recommended to wear protective goggles and a dust mask to avoid eye and respiratory irritation. Additionally, make sure to properly secure the sandpaper to the block to prevent it from slipping or falling.

5. Can a "Block of Sandpaper along the ceiling" be reused?

Yes, a "Block of Sandpaper along the ceiling" can be reused multiple times. However, the effectiveness of the sandpaper will decrease over time and it may need to be replaced once it becomes too worn out or clogged with debris. It is important to clean and properly store the sandpaper after each use to prolong its lifespan.