Block off inclined plane (kinematics + projectile motion?)

In summary, a 2.00 kg block is released from rest at 0.300 m above the surface of a table, at the top of a 50.0° incline. The frictionless incline is fixed on a table of height 2.00 m. Using kinematic equations, the block's acceleration down the incline is found to be 7.51 m/s^2, its final velocity on the incline is 2.42 m/s, and its time of travel from the top of the incline to the floor is 0.7996 seconds.
muhammed_oli

Homework Statement

A block of mass m = 2.00 kg is released from rest at h = 0.300 m above the surface of a table, at the top of a θ = 50.0° incline as shown in the figure below. The frictionless incline is fixed on a table of height H = 2.00 m.
a. Find a on the incline
a=7.51 :)

b. Find V(f) on incline
V(f)=2.42 :)

c. How far from the table will the block hit the floor?
:(

d. What time interval elapses between when the block is released and when it hits the floor?
:(

Homework Equations

incline kinematics
y=V(o)t-g/2(t^2)

projectile stuff
t=(2V(o)sin∅)/g
range(x)=(V(o)^2(sin2∅))/g

The Attempt at a Solution

It's free fall kinematics for the plane then projectile for when it falls? I was distracted when he was showing us this

c. range(x)=(2.42^2)sin(100)/g

d. -0.300=0-4.9t^2
t(p)=0.247
t(f)=2(2.42)sin(50)/g
t(f)=0.378
t(tot)=0.247+0.378=0.625 sec

I already missed c but is that how i get there?
Part D wrong.

Attachments

• 5-p-101.gif
    5-p-101.gif
    5.1 KB · Views: 644
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
The range equation you quote for c refers to a certain set-up. What is that set-up? Note that the equation has no input distances, but clearly the height of the table will be important. (It's not much use memorising equations if you don't remember the circumstances in which they apply. I have never bothered memorising many equations, preferring to remember how to use the basic ones.)
So, for c, what are the horizontal and vertical components of velocity when it leaves the ramp?

Your first equation for part d is as though the block falls vertically 0.3m. You already calculated the acceleration down the ramp. What is the vertical component of that?

Hm alright, so the range equation I used was for symmetric projectile motion. I get what you are saying, I seem to mess up once I start using anything beyond the basics.

Okay for C I found the components for final ramp velocity to be 1.56i - 1.85j
v=d/t
Vf=d/t
find t
y=V(o)t-g/2(t^2)
for t? I hate this equation, is there anything easier? I tried a=v/t but wasnt sure of final velocity. edit i think I am barking up the wrong tree with this now.

part d
ramp
5.75m/s^2(y direction)
a=v/t
v=1.85-0
5.75=1.85(t)
t=5.75/1.85

muhammed_oli said:
find t
y=V(o)t-g/2(t^2)
for t? I hate this equation, is there anything easier?
That's the one you need.
You could not use v=d/t even if you knew the final speed. Do you know why?

For d, How did you get 5.75 for the vertical component of acceleration down the ramp? (It should be less.)
a=v/t is fine, but that does not seem to be what you did.

part c
v=d/t is for constant velocity?

this is what I am thinking, after I've found t from the other equation
x=v(o)t+(1/2)at^2
a=0
x=v(o)(m/s)t(s)
x=x(m)part d
I used 7.51sin50 to get that answer. I'm not sure how to approach this.

Last edited:
muhammed_oli said:
part c
v=d/t is for constant velocity?
yes.

muhammed_oli said:
x=v(o)t+(1/2)at^2
a=0
x=v(o)(m/s)t(s)
x=x(m)
Yes.
muhammed_oli said:
I used 7.51sin50 to get that answer.
Sorry, my mistake. 5.75 is right. But what you did next was wrong. Try that again.

Likes gracy
k, going to solve for t(ramp) using kinematic first.
v(f) = v(o)+at
v(o) = 0
2.42 = 7.51t
t = 0.3222

same, find t for the fall
y = v(o)t-1/2(g)(t^2)
-2 = -1.85t-4.9t^2
4.9t^2+1.85t-2 = 0
t = 0.4774

t(tot) = 0.3222+0.4774 = 0.7996 sec

how does that look?

muhammed_oli said:
k, going to solve for t(ramp) using kinematic first.
v(f) = v(o)+at
v(o) = 0
2.42 = 7.51t
t = 0.3222

same, find t for the fall
y = v(o)t-1/2(g)(t^2)
-2 = -1.85t-4.9t^2
4.9t^2+1.85t-2 = 0
t = 0.4774

t(tot) = 0.3222+0.4774 = 0.7996 sec

how does that look?
Looks about right, but you quote too many digits, given the inputs and less precise intermediate results.

Likes gracy and muhammed_oli
thank you beary much! I got it right, 3 sig digits

1. What is a block off inclined plane?

A block off inclined plane is a physics experiment or problem that involves a block sliding or rolling down an inclined surface. The surface is tilted at an angle, and the block is subject to the forces of gravity and friction as it moves down the plane.

2. How is kinematics related to a block off inclined plane?

Kinematics is the branch of physics that deals with the motion of objects without considering the forces acting on them. In the case of a block off inclined plane, kinematics is used to analyze the block's motion, including its velocity, acceleration, and displacement, as it moves down the plane.

3. What is projectile motion in the context of a block off inclined plane?

Projectile motion refers to the curved path that an object follows when it is thrown or launched into the air, subject to the forces of gravity and any other external forces. In the case of a block off inclined plane, the block's motion can be broken down into horizontal and vertical components, making it an example of projectile motion.

4. What factors affect the motion of a block off inclined plane?

The motion of a block off inclined plane is affected by several factors, including the angle of the incline, the mass of the block, the force of gravity, the coefficient of friction between the block and the surface, and any external forces acting on the block, such as a push or a pull.

5. How can the equations of motion be used to solve a block off inclined plane problem?

The equations of motion, also known as the kinematic equations, can be used to solve a block off inclined plane problem by relating the block's displacement, velocity, and acceleration to each other. By analyzing the forces acting on the block and using the appropriate equations, the block's motion can be predicted and understood.