Blocks on a tabletop attached to a mass suspended by a pulley

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
4 replies · 3K views
Wobble
Messages
29
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


PhysicsPRoblem.jpg



Homework Equations



We have yet to go over this material, which kinda pisses me off, but I'm guessing that:

f=ma, w=ma, g = 9.8m/s/s

are important

The Attempt at a Solution



If somebody could point me in the right direction that would be very helpful. I attempted at drawing a diagram of the forces on each object, but I'm not sure where to even start.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
You want to find the mass of block C so that it moves block A but not too large that it overcomes the static friction between block A and block B I believe. So find the static friction and divide it by g to find the mass of Block C

static friction = (coefficient of static friction) (reaction/normal force)
 
So will the normal force be the mass of the two blocks times gravity?
 
the normal force should be equal to the weight of Block B