Blood Transfusions make me more than me?

• Thread starter DaveC426913
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Blood
In summary: It is possible to receive antibodies from a transfusion even if you are not the intended recipient. This is called passive transfer. It can happen when the donor's blood is mixed with other blood during the transfusion process. Some white cells and antibodies may be transfused with a transfusion, but the phenomenon is rare. Passive transfer of antibodies is not usually a problem, but it can cause problems in cases of repeated transfusions. For example, if a person has repeated transfusions of whole blood or red blood cells, they may develop passive immunity to certain blood diseases. In summary, a transfusion can potentially result in the transfer of antibodies from the donor. Passive transfer of antibodies can be a problem, but
DaveC426913
Gold Member
So, I just had 4 units of whole blood tranfused into me. (I am O+)

Someone pointed out that I am also the likely recipient of some antibodies my donors might have.Does this mean that, if one of those donors had, like, a cold in their past, that I now have antibodies protecting me from that cold virus? What about other antibodies?

Conceptually, am I metabolically "distinct" from who I was last week? Does that kind of thing show up in tests, at least theoretically? i.e. can a future test indicate that I might have had a transfusion in my history?

Biology news on Phys.org
Good grief, what happened?

The doctor felt he should replace the 2 units I left in the bathroom sink and the 2 units I left on the bedroom floor next to my bed.

And while doing so, he edumacated me on what a Dieulafoy's[/PLAIN] [Broken] Lesion is.

Very dumb story. Managed to convince myself I was looking at a couple of glasses of undigested fortified port wine. Protip: real blood - especially in large quantities - sometimes really does look as fake as it looks in a CSI episode...

Long story short: a lookie-loo with a scope - a zap and a clip and I'm good as new. Home after three days.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes, excess materials are transferred with transfusions. I was a high volume long time - ten years - platelet apheresis donor that specialized in immune compromised patients. I could sole source them for years at a time.

I quit when ARC unilaterally prohibited my CCW. Now they are about to permit HIV+ donations.

DaveC426913 said:
The doctor felt he should replace the 2 units I left in the bathroom sink and the 2 units I left on the bedroom floor next to my bed.

And while doing so, he edumacated me on what a Dieulafoy's[/PLAIN] [Broken] Lesion is.

Very dumb story. Managed to convince myself I was looking at a couple of glasses of undigested fortified port wine. Protip: real blood - especially in large quantities - sometimes really does look as fake as it looks in a CSI episode...

Long story short: a lookie-loo with a scope - a zap and a clip and I'm good as new. Home after three days.
Geeze, I'm so glad that they acted quickly and you are better.

Port wine - yeah my dad used to buy the stuff by the jug to last whole year.
Now my brother is of the age that he has tad now and then.

DaveC426913 said:
Someone pointed out that I am also the likely recipient of some antibodies my donors might have ... Conceptually, am I metabolically "distinct" from who I was last week? Does that kind of thing show up in tests, at least theoretically?

The antibodies would be short-lived , but it is possible for some white-cells to be transfused, and that could be permanent ...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Microchimerism http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/17198844

Holy crap Dave! Glad you made it!

I assume you know the difference between fresh whole blood and packed red cells.

Most blood transfusions for lost blood is by units of packed red cells, these can be thought of as collected blood that's then had all the plasma, white cells and platelets removed so you are left with a bag mainly containing only the red cells concentrated up.

I assume they had time to fully cross match blood to your type.

In an emergency when you don't have time to do a 30min cross match and antibody screen you can use Oneg blood.

If you did receive only red cells then they will only hang around for 2-3 months then are removed while your body makes its own red cells.

Packed red cells do contain a very small amount of whites cells and antibodies and special filters can be added to remove white cells in haematology patients but not usually used in ordinary red cell transfusions.

DaveC426913 said:
Someone pointed out that I am also the likely recipient of some antibodies my donors might have.Does this mean that, if one of those donors had, like, a cold in their past, that I now have antibodies protecting me from that cold virus? What about other antibodies?

Conceptually, am I metabolically "distinct" from who I was last week? Does that kind of thing show up in tests, at least theoretically? i.e. can a future test indicate that I might have had a transfusion in my history?

Yes it's a possibility although to be "metabolically distinct" you have to have repeated blood transfusions for a long period of time. The phenomenon is passive transfer of antibody from the donor. Sometimes, this can create problems. For example, there can be passive IgE transfer from the donor. On subsequent introduction of allergen into the recipients blood, allergic reaction may take place.

source: http://www.transfusionmedicine.ca/articles/iga-deficiency

In a retrospective study of chronic hemodialysis patients it was seen that they had acquired hepatitis antibody due to numerous blood transfusion. This was in 1982. This kind of scenario is highly uncommon now because if you have the risk of developing post transfusion allergic reaction then saline washed RBC or frozen/deglycerolized RBC is used. Saline removes 99% of non cellular elements.

Source: http://nybloodcenter.org/products-services/blood-products/red-blood-cells/
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/6918195

There are chances of transfer of antigens to your body too.

Likes lisab
Well, that's been no fun. Rebleed on 28th sent me back in. Been in ICU ever since. Just got discharged to ward today.

I now have 13 units (4L) of strangers' blood in me.

As an aside, I've picked up a new interest in skeeball, seem to be acquiring a Korean accent - and I'd like to be called Sarah from now on.

Ouch. Glad you're out of ICU and on the mend, Dave. :-)

lightandmatter said:
... Most blood transfusions for lost blood is by units of packed red cells, these can be thought of as collected blood that's then had all the plasma, white cells and platelets removed ...

[PLAIN]http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/17198844 said:
[/PLAIN] [Broken] [Transfusion-associated microchimerism] is present in approximately half of transfused severely injured patients at hospital discharge and is not affected by leukoreduction ... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leukoreduction

DaveC426913 said:
I'd like to be called Sarah from now on.

Apparently you can get away with keeping your beard ... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Conchita_Wurst

lightandmatter said:
I assume you know the difference between fresh whole blood and packed red cells.

Most blood transfusions for lost blood is by units of packed red cells, these can be thought of as collected blood that's then had all the plasma, white cells and platelets removed so you are left with a bag mainly containing only the red cells concentrated up.
Turns out packed red cells are indeed what I've been getting.

"Packed red cells" have probably undergone leukoreduction , but are not free of "all" of white cells ...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Packed_red_blood_cells#Collection.2C_processing.2C_and_use

Microchimerism probably didn't occur , even if it did, probably would not cause problems,
( and had the large-volume transfusion not been applied the result probably would have been a pine-overcoat).

But the question was can you be permanently different as a result of blood-transfusion , in a way that is measurable ,
and the correct answer is yes : e.g. via microchimerism.

It is possible to lay-down a few bottles of ones own-brand for ones own future use , to avoid the possibility of blood-borne infection or microchimerism ... http://www.surgeryencyclopedia.com/A-Ce/Autologous-Blood-Donation.html

Last edited:
DaveC426913 said:
Someone pointed out that I am also the likely recipient of some antibodies my donors might have.
Yes, but assuming you have received compatible blood ( and you still seem to be alive) these are generally clinically insignificant and will disappear.
DaveC426913 said:
Does this mean that, if one of those donors had, like, a cold in their past, that I now have antibodies protecting me from that cold virus? What about other antibodies?
No
DaveC426913 said:
Future tests can show that you have previously been transfused. The tests rely on the detection of antibodies you have produced following your immune response to foreign antigens present in the donor blood.

Sigh Still here. 22 days since this began - 17 of them in the hospital, 12 of those in Emerg/ICU. 15 units-o-blood now.

But they've done "the procedure" - injected me with glue - that should stop this problem for sure.

1. What is a blood transfusion?

A blood transfusion is a medical procedure in which donated blood is given to a patient through a vein. This is done to replace blood that has been lost due to injury or surgery, or to treat certain medical conditions that affect the blood.

2. How does a blood transfusion make me "more than me"?

A blood transfusion can make you "more than me" by increasing your blood volume and oxygen-carrying capacity, which can improve your overall health and energy levels. It can also provide your body with essential nutrients and immune cells, helping it to fight off infections and diseases.

3. Is it safe to receive a blood transfusion?

Yes, blood transfusions are generally considered safe. The donated blood undergoes thorough screening and testing to ensure it is free of any diseases or infections. Additionally, the procedure is performed using sterile equipment and techniques to minimize the risk of complications.

4. How long does a blood transfusion take?

The length of a blood transfusion can vary depending on the amount of blood being transfused and the individual's response. On average, it takes 1-4 hours to complete the entire procedure. However, in emergency situations, it can be done much quicker.

5. Are there any risks associated with blood transfusions?

While blood transfusions are generally safe, there are some potential risks involved, such as allergic reactions, infections, and lung injury. However, these risks are rare and can be minimized by following proper screening and safety protocols. Your doctor will discuss the potential risks and benefits with you before the procedure.