Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Bluetooth components selection? Any already made devices?

Tags:
  1. Jan 13, 2012 #1
    Bluetooth components selection? Any "already made" devices?

Hi all, this is what I wanna get done: a device1 reads data from sensor using a parallel port, then send it to a device2.

Here is what I can think of about device1, it should be a very small 8bit smp MCU controlling a com device, preferably a bluetooth module, since going into the detail of bluetooth would be a house of pain.

So for device1, it should work like this: sensor sends 8bit parallel data to the MCU, then the MCU activates the bluetooth module, pass it with the data, and make it send the data.

My problem is: I do not know what product to choose, I mean there are products out there available that implement my goal, but I do not know who manufacture them, and which one has the best cost/benefit ratio. Do I really have to buy a bluetooth module, and a MCU miniboard and put the two together? Somebody must have done that job long time ago?

Any suggestion would be appreciated! Thanks!

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 14, 2012 #2

MATLABdude

Science Advisor

Re: Bluetooth components selection? Any "already made" devices?

It sounds as if you're looking for something like a Bluetooth serial modem, which acts just like a serial cable between the host and target:
    http://www.google.ca/search?q=bluetooth+serial+modem

I've used ones from WCSC and IOGear--they both seem to do a reasonable job (although the IOGear one isn't sold in pairs):
    http://www.wcscnet.com/Wireless.htm [Broken]
    http://www.iogear.com/product/GBS301/

They're mostly in the price range of around $200 a pair.

Last edited by a moderator: May 5, 2017
  4. Jan 14, 2012 #3

200? That's way too expensive!

5. Jan 14, 2012 #4

MATLABdude

Science Advisor

Well, you did ask for ready-made!

If cost is a major objective, I'd just go with a wired connection. Most of the wireless schemes (RF serial modems, ZigBee, Wi-Fi, etc.) I'm familiar with are about in the same ball-park price-wise for low quantities.

6. Jan 15, 2012 #5

I see... guess I'll have to find another way around.

7. Jan 15, 2012 #6

MATLABdude

Science Advisor

8. Jan 20, 2012 #7

Thanks MATLABdude, I've already found something that might come in handy, thanks 800 tons for your help! :)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook