Bohr model for electron energy states

In summary, the Bohr-Sommerfeld quantization is still used in modern physics, particularly in semiclassical physics and spectroscopy of large molecules. It has also been applied to other areas such as meson spectra, black hole analysis, and in older survey papers. However, it is not taught in introductory physics lectures due to its inaccuracies and outdated concepts.
Iceking20
TL;DR Summary
What parts of bohr model for electron energy states are still valid?
I know that we use quantum mechanic and wave function to calculate probability of finding electrons but is there anything valid about bohr model that we still use it?

Physics news on Phys.org
The energy levels are still reasonable approximations for hydrogen-like atoms.

Likes dlgoff
Where is the Bohr-Sommerfeld quantization still used? I consider it interesting to understand the historical development of modern quantum mechanics, but it should not be taught anymore in introductory physics lectures on quantum mechanics since it's not only quantitatively wrong but provides utterly wrong qualitative pictures which you have to eliminate from your thinking again when learning the modern theory. The most difficult part of learning modern QT is to unlearn classical concepts, and thus it's good to omit at least classical pictures where they are really failing, and this is precisely the case with the Bohr-Sommerfeld quantization prescription.

vanhees71 said:
Where is the Bohr-Sommerfeld quantization still used?
A lot of useful semiclassical physics is done based on Bohr-Sommerfeld quantization. In particular, modern versions of it are indispensable in the spectroscopy of large molecules, where the more accurate ab initio methods become numerically too demanding.
  • Norcliffe, A., & Percival, I. C., Correspondence identities II. The Bohr-Sommerfeld identity for the hydrogen atom. Journal of Physics B: Atomic and Molecular Physics, 1 (1968), 784.
  • Colwell, S. M., & Percival, I. C., The semiclassical determination of potential surfaces from observed spectra. I. Chemical Physics, 75 (1983), 215-223.
It is also used for meson spectra in constituent quark models: https://arxiv.org/pdf/hep-ph/0412170
and for the analysis of black holes: https://arxiv.org/pdf/1204.1699
to mention just a few more recent uses.

Last edited:
  • Wow
Likes Dadface
vanhees71 said:
Where is the Bohr-Sommerfeld quantization still used?
A. Neumaier said:
A lot of useful semiclassical physics is done based on Bohr-Sommerfeld quantization. In particular, modern versions of it are indispensable in the spectroscopy of large molecules, where the more accurate ab initio methods become numerically too demanding.
  • Norcliffe, A., & Percival, I. C., Correspondence identities II. The Bohr-Sommerfeld identity for the hydrogen atom. Journal of Physics B: Atomic and Molecular Physics, 1 (1968), 784.
  • Colwell, S. M., & Percival, I. C., The semiclassical determination of potential surfaces from observed spectra. I. Chemical Physics, 75 (1983), 215-223.
It is also used for meson spectra in constituent quark models: https://arxiv.org/pdf/hep-ph/0412170
and for the analysis of black holes: https://arxiv.org/pdf/1204.1699
to mention just a few more recent uses.
One more older but interesting survey paper:
  • M.V. Berry & K.E. Mount, Semiclassical approximations in wave mechanics. Reports on Progress in Physics, 35 (1972), 315.

Likes vanhees71

What is the Bohr model for electron energy states?

The Bohr model is a simplified model of the atom proposed by Niels Bohr in 1913. It describes the arrangement of electrons in an atom in discrete energy levels or orbits around the nucleus.

What are the limitations of the Bohr model?

The Bohr model only works for atoms with one electron, such as hydrogen. It also does not accurately predict the behavior of electrons in more complex atoms and does not account for the wave-like nature of electrons.

How does the Bohr model explain the stability of atoms?

The Bohr model proposes that electrons can only exist in specific energy levels, and they do not emit energy as long as they remain in these levels. This stability is due to the balance between the attractive force of the positively charged nucleus and the centrifugal force of the moving electron.

What is the significance of the Bohr model in the history of atomic theory?

The Bohr model was a major advancement in atomic theory, as it provided a more accurate and intuitive explanation of the structure of atoms compared to previous models. It also laid the foundation for further developments in quantum mechanics.

How does the Bohr model relate to modern atomic theory?

The Bohr model is still relevant in modern atomic theory as it provides a basic understanding of the arrangement of electrons in atoms. However, it has been expanded and refined with the development of quantum mechanics, which describes the behavior of electrons as both particles and waves.