1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Bond energy between two water molecules

1. Nov 12, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Estimate the bond energy between two water molcules (liquid) in the following way

A: From the density of water and its molecular weight calculate the average distance between the molecules

B:hence show that there are 10^19 molcules per m^2 of surace

C:from the suraface tension of water, assuming this to be the same as the suraface energy, fine the value of U_0

2. Relevant equations

[tex]N_s ≈ \frac{1}{r_0^2} \\
    \frac{1}{4}nU_0N_s \\
    \gamma = \frac{F}{L} \\
    [/tex]

3. The attempt at a solution

I am stuck straight away on part A. I know the density of water (1000 kg/m^3) and the molecular weight of H2O is 18 but have no idea how these are supposed to help me calculate the average distance between the molecules.

I am not looking for the answer but any hints on where to start would be very much appreciated.

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 12, 2013 #2
    The volume of one molecule (in m^3):
    $$
    V_1 = \frac {μ}{ρ N_A}
    $$
    where ## μ = 18×10^3 kg/mole##
    ## ρ = 10^3 kg/m^3##
    ## N_A = 6×10^{23} mole^{-1}##

4. Nov 12, 2013 #3
    OK Thank you, what is mu called? (For example rho is density)

5. Nov 12, 2013 #4

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

I think it's supposed to be the molar mass of water (2xH+1xO = 18). But I believe it should be 18g/mol, the molar unit having been defined in terms of grammes before the old cgs units were replaced by MKS units. So that's 18 10-3 kg/mol, not 18 10+3 kg/mol.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted