Calculating Bond Energy of Steel Using Theoretical Strength Eqn

In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of the bond energy of steel using its theoretical strength and surface energy. The equations used involve the coordination number, surface energy, and other factors. The calculation is done using approximations for values such as the coordination number and r_0 of steel. The result is either in joules or eV, depending on the units used. The use of the density of steel and the mass number of iron is not mentioned in the conversation.
FaraDazed

Homework Statement

Steel has a theoretical strength of 4 x 10^10 Pa a density of 7860 kg/m^3, Youngs Modulus of 2 x 10^11 Pa and the mass number of iron, the main ingredient in steel, is 56.

Calculate the bond energy of the steel using the expression for theoretical strength and surface energy.

Homework Equations

[tex]
S_m = \sqrt{\frac{E\gamma}{r_0}} \\
\gamma = \frac{1}{4}nN_sU_0 \\
N_s ≈ \frac{1}{r_0^2}
[/tex]
where n is the coordination number and N_s is the

The Attempt at a Solution

First before doing anything I rearranged to get the bond energy the subject, by subbing gamma in an rearranging ing as below

[tex]
S_m = \sqrt{\frac{E\frac{1}{4}nN_sU_0}{r_0}} \\
r_0 S_m^2 = E\frac{1}{4}nN_sU_0 \\
U_0 = \frac{r_0 S_m^2}{E\frac{1}{4}nN_s}
[/tex]

The way I did it next is probably the wrong way, I did no use the density given in the question or use the mass number of iron.

I found in a lecture booklet that r_0 of steel is 2 x 10^(-10) and I calculated N_s to be 2.5 x 10^19 by using the approximation given in the relevant equations section. And we have been told to use 10 as an approximation for the coordination number. So with these I did the calculation.

[tex]
U_0 = \frac{(2×10^{-10})(4×10^{10})^2}{(2.1 × 10^{11})\frac{1}{4}10(2.5×10^{19})} \\
U_0 = \frac{3.2×10^{11}}{1.31×10^{31}}=2.44×10^{-20}
[/tex]
And was never sure if the units is joules or eV, if its joules then the answer is at least in the ballpark (I think), if its eV, something has gone terribly wrong. I don't understand how to use the values given for the density of steel and mass number of iron to help in this question.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
338 views and no replies? Please, even if its a little comment it might help me! :)

What is the theoretical strength equation?

The theoretical strength equation is a mathematical formula that predicts the maximum amount of stress that a material can withstand before breaking.

How is bond energy related to the strength of steel?

Bond energy is the amount of energy required to break the bonds between atoms in a material. In steel, the strength is directly related to the bond energy of the material.

What factors affect the bond energy of steel?

The bond energy of steel can be affected by factors such as the type of steel, its composition, and the temperature at which it is tested. Other factors include the presence of impurities and defects in the material.

How is the bond energy of steel calculated using the theoretical strength equation?

The bond energy of steel can be calculated using the theoretical strength equation by inputting the appropriate values for the material's properties (such as atomic weight, bond length, and bond strength) into the formula and solving for the bond energy.

Why is calculating bond energy important in material science?

Calculating bond energy is important in material science because it provides valuable information about the strength and durability of a material. This information can be used to design and select materials for various applications, such as building structures or manufacturing products.