Exploring the Bond Length of HI vs HCl

In summary, the conversation discusses the bond length of HI and HCl based on the atomic radii of iodine and chlorine. While it may seem logical that the larger atomic radius of iodine would result in a smaller bond length for HI, it is actually the opposite due to the lower electronegativity of iodine. This results in less electrostatic attraction and a longer bond length.
elemis
Last edited by a moderator:
Chemistry news on Phys.org
Why did you think that the larger atomic radius of iodine makes the bond length of HI smaller? Correct me if I'm wrong but it's pretty common sense that the larger the atomic radius, the longer the bond length. Besides, due to the smaller electronegativity of iodine, H-I bond is not as polar as H-Cl and therefore less electrostatic attraction due to partial charges is experienced by H and I, thus they are further apart, increasing the bond length.

dorebase2006 said:
Why did you think that the larger atomic radius of iodine makes the bond length of HI smaller? Correct me if I'm wrong but it's pretty common sense that the larger the atomic radius, the longer the bond length. Besides, due to the smaller electronegativity of iodine, H-I bond is not as polar as H-Cl and therefore less electrostatic attraction due to partial charges is experienced by H and I, thus they are further apart, increasing the bond length.

I was exploring other avenues of thought ;)

Thanks for the explanation.

1. What is the difference in bond length between HI and HCl?

The bond length of HI (hydrogen iodide) is longer than that of HCl (hydrogen chloride) due to the larger size of the iodine atom compared to the chlorine atom. This results in a weaker bond in HI, causing a longer bond length.

2. Why is the bond length of HCl shorter than that of HI?

The bond length is determined by the distance between the nuclei of the two atoms involved in the bond. In the case of HCl, chlorine is smaller than iodine, thus the distance between the nuclei is shorter and results in a shorter bond length.

3. How does the bond length affect the strength of the bond between HCl and HI?

The bond length is inversely proportional to the strength of the bond. This means that as the bond length increases, the bond strength decreases. Therefore, the shorter bond length of HCl indicates a stronger bond compared to the longer bond length of HI.

4. What factors can affect the bond length of HCl and HI?

The bond length can be affected by the size of the atoms involved, the electronegativity of the atoms, and the type of bonding (ionic or covalent). In the case of HCl and HI, the size of the atoms is the main factor influencing the bond length.

5. How does the bond length of HCl and HI impact their chemical properties?

The bond length can affect the polarity of a molecule, which in turn affects its chemical properties. In the case of HCl and HI, the shorter bond length of HCl results in a more polar molecule, making it more acidic and reactive compared to HI.