Bone Fraying: What Is It & Is It Serious?

• Medical
  • Thread starter leroyjenkens
  • Start date
In summary: The doctor said I have a little fraying on my shoulder bone, and it's not the reason for my shoulder problem. But it was still worrisome to me, especially because he said it could get worse. He made it sound like the fraying happens over time due to use, and it's not something that can be fixed with surgery. I'm going back in two months to get a cortisone shot to see if that helps.
leroyjenkens
Hello, I just got back from the orthopedic and he said the MRI results on my shoulder say I have a little fraying on the bone in my shoulder. He acted like that's not a big deal, at least not worthy of having surgery for and that it isn't the reason for my shoulder problem. But that had me worried that it could get worse. He made it sound like the fraying happens over time due to use.

Anyone ever heard of bone fraying? He made it sound like it's just a rough spot or something on the bone.

Biology news on Phys.org
I've never heard the term, what's interesting is that googling "bone fraying" has this thread as first hit suggesting it's not a common or standard condition. It could be that the collagen fibrils are "fraying" but I'm not sure.

I don't think it's arthritis, I'm only 27. The orthopedic doctor really made it sound like it wasn't a big deal, he just mentioned it sort of as an afterthought, and said it's nothing that would warrant surgery.

I originally went to the doctor because I had discomfort in my shoulder after I hurt it punching my punching bag while my muscles were sore from working out the day before. I just dealt with it for about two years until I decided to get it checked out. The X-ray showed nothing on my first visit, so the doctor suggested an MRI. I get that and he still finds nothing wrong with my shoulder that would cause the discomfort. And then mentioned the bone fraying since it's the only thing that showed up on the MRI.
I think he said the MRI showed some inflammation, which is why he gave me the cortisone shot. I'm going back in two months.

He made it sound like the use of my shoulder over the years is what causes the fraying. He just had me worried that the fraying could get worse or cause me pain later on. Having a rough part of your bone under your skin doesn't sound comfortable.

I've never heard the term "fraying" used regarding bones before either, but maybe he was just trying to explain something else in laymen's terms. Maybe he's trying to describe some minor stress fractures, or some wear near a joint.

it doesn't have to be arthritis for a rotator cuff injury. the joint is not very stable because of its high range of motion and tears are common. people also get impingement injuries, so he might have meant something like that, also.

1. What is bone fraying?

Bone fraying is a condition in which the edges of a bone become frayed or jagged. This can occur due to wear and tear, injury, or certain medical conditions.

2. What are the symptoms of bone fraying?

The most common symptom of bone fraying is pain, which may be dull or sharp. Other symptoms may include stiffness, swelling, and limited range of motion in the affected area.

3. Is bone fraying a serious condition?

The seriousness of bone fraying depends on the underlying cause and the extent of the fraying. In some cases, it may only cause mild discomfort and can be managed with rest and over-the-counter pain medication. However, in severe cases, it may require surgery or other medical intervention.

4. What causes bone fraying?

Bone fraying can be caused by a variety of factors, including repetitive stress or overuse, trauma or injury, osteoarthritis, and certain medical conditions such as osteoporosis or Paget's disease.

5. How is bone fraying treated?

Treatment for bone fraying depends on the underlying cause and severity of the condition. In mild cases, rest, ice, and over-the-counter pain medication may be sufficient. In more severe cases, surgery or other medical interventions may be necessary. Physical therapy and lifestyle changes, such as maintaining a healthy weight and avoiding activities that aggravate the condition, may also be recommended.