• Support PF! Buy your school textbooks, materials and every day products Here!

Book about optimization problems

• Calculus
  • Thread starter TeeTex
  • Start date

Main Question or Discussion Point

hi guys, i am preparing my self for the calculus 1 2 3 final and i need recommendation about optimization problems theories book or something to help me understand how to solve and understand optimization problems and to solve them. Thanks♥

Answers and Replies

scottdave
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Insights Author
Can you be more specific? Are you referring to like minimum or maximum problems? How many variables? What book(s) are you using for Calculus?

Yes like for example
Each tree is made by iron wire structure a translucent paper cone open at the bottom. The metallic structure of the decoration is obtained
welding on the basic circumference two linear pieces corresponding to two apotems of the cone.
The weight of the paper used is p1 = 25g = m2, and each conical cover is obtained from a sheet
35 cm square on the side. The weight of the wire is instead equal to p2 = 0; 08g = cm, while
the electric apparatus (lamp holder, bulb and cable) and the bill hook weigh 30 g per
each decoration.
Each suspension point of the support can bear a maximum weight of 40 g.
The single tree is tantopièu decorative, how much greater is the luminous surface (therefore the
base does not count).
Determine the optimal measures of decoration

[Translated from other language]

scottdave
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Insights Author
So you have a limitof 40 grams. This is a constraint. You have some items (paper wire and fixture) add up to make total weight. You need to create an expression which represents the weight in some variables. It looks like you want to maximize the light surface area? Create an expression for surface area. Use Calculus to find a maximum. See if that fits into the constraints. The amount of paper is also constrained.

So any recommendation about any kind of book that teach that stuff ? :) or resource/s
Please i would really appreciate it! :-p

scottdave
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Insights Author