Book for complementing differential equations

In summary, the conversation is about finding a book to help with understanding geometrical functions in relation to differential equations. The person has a difficult book on differential equations and is struggling with certain exercises that require knowledge of geometry. They are looking for a recommendation for a book to help them understand this subject better. One suggestion is "Elements of Coordinate Geometry" by S L Loney, but the person is hesitant to use it because it is old. Another suggestion is "Elementary Euclidean Geometry" by C G Gibson. A third suggestion is to use tutorials from Khan Academy.
Santilopez10
Hello! Currently I own Differential Equations by H.B Phillips, a really old book, but difficult and does it´s purpose. I have only 1 problem, certain exercises require certain geometrical functional study I suppose, for example:
"find the equation of the curves so that the part of every tangent between the y-axis and the tangent point P(x,y) is divided in 2 equal parts by the x-axis." (sorry if I translated wrong)
To be honest, I hesitated a bit trying to find such a curve, so I checked the answers, and it was a simple quadratic equation, therefore I realized I need to study a bit geometry of functions, so if someone can recommend a book I would thank him a lot.

Physics news on Phys.org
The usual understanding is that, before you get to the study of differential equations, you have gone through algebra, trigonometry, geometry, analytical geometry, differential and integral calculus. Without that background, a DE text is likely to be quite difficult.

Dr.D said:
The usual understanding is that, before you get to the study of differential equations, you have gone through algebra, trigonometry, geometry, analytical geometry, differential and integral calculus. Without that background, a DE text is likely to be quite difficult.
the only problem is that I am trying to learn it by my self, so I don´t have anyone who can teach me. I´ve already learned plenty of calculus, algebra, and trigonometry, but no geometric analysis, would you mind recommending a book of the subject?

I don't have any current recommendations. I studied geometry in high school 60+ years ago. Try Google.

Dr.D said:
I don't have any current recommendations. I studied geometry in high school 60+ years ago. Try Google.
alright, thanks.

Looks like you need some help with coordinate geometry.
One nice book is Elements of Coordinate Geometry by S L Loney

Likes Demystifier
kaustubhb said:
Looks like you need some help with coordinate geometry.
One nice book is Elements of Coordinate Geometry by S L Loney

That book is ~100 old and is barely readable.
A modern alternative would be Elementary Euclidean Geometry by C G Gibson.

A good suggestion would be tutorials from Khan Academy.

Likes Specter

1. What is a "Book for complementing differential equations"?

A "Book for complementing differential equations" is a resource that provides additional information, explanations, and examples to supplement a textbook or course on differential equations.

2. Who is the target audience for a "Book for complementing differential equations"?

The target audience for a "Book for complementing differential equations" is typically students or researchers studying differential equations at the undergraduate or graduate level.

3. What topics are typically covered in a "Book for complementing differential equations"?

A "Book for complementing differential equations" may cover a wide range of topics, including but not limited to: basic concepts and techniques, applications in physics and engineering, numerical methods, and advanced topics such as partial differential equations.

4. How can a "Book for complementing differential equations" benefit someone studying this subject?

A "Book for complementing differential equations" can provide a deeper understanding of the material, offer alternative explanations or approaches, and provide additional practice problems and examples for further practice and reinforcement.

5. Are there any recommended "Books for complementing differential equations"?

There are many "Books for complementing differential equations" available, and the best one for you may depend on your specific needs and level of understanding. It is recommended to consult with your instructor or do some research to find a book that aligns with your learning goals.