1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Support PF! Reminder for those going back to school to buy their text books via PF Here!
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Book for introductory Modern Physics?

1. Jul 28, 2012 #1
    This is for a 2nd year undergraduate course at community college. The course description says it covers: atomic and nuclear physics, relativity, space physics, and elementary particle physics.

Which book would help me through this course?

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 30, 2012 #2

jtbell

Staff: Mentor

Do you know which book the course is going to use?

4. Jul 30, 2012 #3
    No, but I've sent an e-mail to the Physics department head. The course description also says that there is considerable mathematics used, and the pre-requisite for this course is Calculus III and Calculus Physics III, so I'm going to presume that it uses a lot of Calculus and maybe Linear Algebra/Differential Equations?

5. Jul 30, 2012 #4

jtbell

Staff: Mentor

I posted a couple of links in an earlier thread:

https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?p=3876321#post3876321

I've taught a course like yours from Taylor. I haven't used Krane, but it seems to cover similar territory. Before I used Taylor, I used Beiser, but that book doesn't seem to be in print any more.

Another way to find out which book your course will use is to ask your college's bookstore. Even if they don't have it on their shelves yet, they should have gotten book orders for fall from course instructors at least a couple of months ago.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook