Book for introductory Modern Physics?

In summary, the 2nd year undergraduate course at the community college covers topics such as atomic and nuclear physics, relativity, space physics, and elementary particle physics. The course also requires a solid understanding of Calculus III and Calculus Physics III. There are a few recommended textbooks, including Taylor and Krane, but it is also suggested to ask the college's bookstore for the official course textbook.
PhizKid
This is for a 2nd year undergraduate course at community college. The course description says it covers: atomic and nuclear physics, relativity, space physics, and elementary particle physics.

Which book would help me through this course?

Physics news on Phys.org
Do you know which book the course is going to use?

No, but I've sent an e-mail to the Physics department head. The course description also says that there is considerable mathematics used, and the pre-requisite for this course is Calculus III and Calculus Physics III, so I'm going to presume that it uses a lot of Calculus and maybe Linear Algebra/Differential Equations?

I posted a couple of links in an earlier thread:

https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?p=3876321#post3876321

I've taught a course like yours from Taylor. I haven't used Krane, but it seems to cover similar territory. Before I used Taylor, I used Beiser, but that book doesn't seem to be in print any more.

Another way to find out which book your course will use is to ask your college's bookstore. Even if they don't have it on their shelves yet, they should have gotten book orders for fall from course instructors at least a couple of months ago.

There are many great books available for introductory Modern Physics courses at the undergraduate level. Some popular options include "Modern Physics" by Tipler and Llewellyn, "Introduction to Modern Physics" by Richtmyer, Kennard, and Cooper, and "Modern Physics for Scientists and Engineers" by Thornton and Rex. It is important to choose a book that aligns with the specific topics covered in your course, so I would recommend consulting with your professor or looking at the course syllabus to determine which book would be the best fit for your needs. Good luck with your studies!

1. What is the purpose of a book for introductory Modern Physics?

A book for introductory Modern Physics serves as a comprehensive guide for students who are new to the subject. It covers the fundamental concepts and principles of Modern Physics and provides a solid foundation for further study and research.

2. What topics are typically covered in a book for introductory Modern Physics?

The topics covered in a book for introductory Modern Physics may vary, but typically include relativity, quantum mechanics, atomic and nuclear physics, and solid state physics. Some books may also cover topics such as astrophysics and cosmology.

3. Is a background in mathematics necessary to understand Modern Physics?

Yes, a strong background in mathematics is essential for understanding Modern Physics. Concepts such as calculus, linear algebra, and differential equations are frequently used in the study of Modern Physics.

4. How can a book for introductory Modern Physics benefit students?

A book for introductory Modern Physics can benefit students by providing a clear and concise explanation of complex concepts, offering practice problems and examples for better understanding, and preparing students for more advanced courses in Modern Physics.

5. Are there any recommended books for introductory Modern Physics?

Yes, there are many recommended books for introductory Modern Physics, such as "Introduction to Modern Physics" by John Dirk Walecka, "Modern Physics for Scientists and Engineers" by John Taylor and Chris Zafiratos, and "Concepts of Modern Physics" by Arthur Beiser. It is important to choose a book that aligns with your learning style and covers the topics you are interested in.