Elements of Modern Physics book recommendations?

In summary, a Physics student is looking for book recommendations for self-study for their course on "Elements of Modern Physics". After doing some research, they found several options including "A Textbook of Quantum Mechanics", "Quantum Mechanics", "Elementary Modern Physics", and "Beiser's Modern Physics Textbook". They decided to go with "Beiser's Modern Physics Textbook" based on recommendations and the fact that it covers all the topics they need. The newest edition (7th) was published in 2015 by different authors and the student is not sure about the changes made in this edition.
HououinKyouma
Hello, undergrad Physics student here. I have a course called "Elements of Modern Physics" this semester. Looking for some good book recommendations. Note that I need a book for self-study as I have decided to skip out on lectures because they are online right now and combined with a bad prof, they are hard to understand. These are the topics I have to cover:
1612245871418.png

1612246078630.png

1612246109641.png

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi, a little googling finds (first try) similar (very similar !) curricula with references:

Reference Books:
  1. A Textbook of Quantum Mechanics, P.M.Mathews and K.Venkatesan, 2nd Ed., 2010, McGraw Hill
  2. Quantum Mechanics, Robert Eisberg and Robert Resnick, 2nd Edn., 2002, Wiley.
  3. Quantum Mechanics, Leonard I. Schiff, 3rd Edn. 2010, Tata McGraw Hill.
  4. Quantum Mechanics, G. Aruldhas, 2nd Edn. 2002, PHI Learning of India.
  5. Quantum Mechanics, Bruce Cameron Reed, 2008, Jones and Bartlett Learning.
  6. Quantum Mechanics: Foundations & Applications, Arno Bohm, 3rd Edn., 1993, Springer
  7. Quantum Mechanics for Scientists & Engineers, D.A.B. Miller, 2008, Cambridge University Press Additional Books for Reference
  8. Quantum Mechanics, Eugen Merzbacher, 2004, John Wiley and Sons, Inc.
  9. Introduction to Quantum Mechanics, D.J. Griffith, 2nd Ed. 2005, Pearson Education
  10. Quantum Mechanics, Walter Greiner, 4th Edn., 2001, Springer
Related Posts:
Unfortunately the related posts are riddled with commercials

I am very fond of Elementary Modern Physics by Paul Tipler. No one book will exactly match your professor's selections of course.

Likes Frabjous and George Jones
Eisberg-Resnick ( ISBN-13: 978-0471873730 ) is a bit old but follows the syllabus.

I really like Beiser's modern physics textbook. It covers pretty much the topics you mention.

haushofer said:
I really like Beiser's modern physics textbook. It covers pretty much the topics you mention.
Another person also recommended me the same book. I guess I will go with this one a shot. Thanks.

I taught an intro modern physics course about 1985-2006, using Beiser as published by McGraw-Hill USA. I thought it was a good fit for students who had completed a standard two-semester intro (classical) physics course. The last time I looked on Amazon some years ago, the most recent edition was the 6th (2002), the last one I used, and it was out of print.

I looked on Amazon again just now and was surprised to find a newer 7th edition (2015) by Beiser, Mabajan and Choudhury, published by McGraw-Hill India. I have no idea what changes have been made by the new authors.

Likes vanhees71

1. What are the key topics covered in "Elements of Modern Physics"?

The book covers a wide range of topics in modern physics, including quantum mechanics, relativity, atomic and nuclear physics, particle physics, and cosmology.

2. Is "Elements of Modern Physics" suitable for beginners?

No, this book is intended for readers with a strong foundation in classical mechanics and mathematics. It is better suited for advanced undergraduate or graduate students in physics.

3. Are there any prerequisite texts or knowledge required for "Elements of Modern Physics"?

Yes, it is recommended to have a solid understanding of classical mechanics, electromagnetism, and calculus before diving into this book.

4. Does "Elements of Modern Physics" provide practical applications of the concepts discussed?

Yes, the book includes real-world examples and applications of modern physics concepts, such as the use of quantum mechanics in technology and the applications of relativity in astrophysics.

5. Are there any supplemental materials or resources available for "Elements of Modern Physics"?

Yes, the book may come with online resources such as practice problems, interactive simulations, and additional readings to enhance the learning experience.