Book of Mathematical Tricks/Manipulations

In summary, the speaker is looking for a comprehensive book that provides tips, tricks, and examples for manipulating various mathematical expressions, including summation indices and series expansions. They mention that these techniques are often specific to a certain discipline and take a long time to find. The speaker also mentions that there is no shortcut to learning these techniques and suggests practicing and reading proofs in the corresponding fields.
hogspogs
Hi,

I am wondering if anyone knows of a comprehensive book with tips/tricks/examples for manipulating various expressions. Things such as changing summation indices,
[tex] \sum_{i,j,k=1}^{n}|a_{ik}b_{kj}|<=(\sum_{i,k=1}^{n}|a_{ik}|)^2(\sum_{j,m=1}^{n}|b_{mj}|)^2[/tex]

or common(and not so common) series expansions, etc. but not limited to series. These things always take a long time to find and are often very specific to a certain discipline. Hope this eqn shows right as it's my first post.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
hogspogs said:
These things always take a long time to find and are often very specific to a certain discipline.
That's the point: they are specific to the application. I wouldn't call them tricks, but there are certain techniques depending on the branch which are repeatedly used. I'm afraid there is no shortcut to learn them other than read a lot of proofs in the corresponding fields. Such a book would also require to set up the language of each branch before "tricks" can be explained. That would occupy more room than the techniques themselves.

It is as it always is: practice, practice, and not to forget: practice.

1. What is the purpose of the "Book of Mathematical Tricks/Manipulations"?

The purpose of this book is to provide a collection of mathematical tricks and manipulations that can be used to simplify or solve complex mathematical problems. It is meant to enhance problem-solving skills and improve overall understanding of mathematical concepts.

2. Who would benefit from reading this book?

This book would be beneficial for anyone interested in mathematics, from students to professionals. It can be used as a reference for solving specific problems or as a tool for learning new techniques and approaches in mathematics.

3. Are the tricks and manipulations in this book applicable to all areas of mathematics?

Yes, the book covers a wide range of mathematical concepts and the tricks and manipulations can be applied to various areas such as algebra, geometry, calculus, and statistics.

4. Are the techniques in this book easy to understand and implement?

Yes, the book is written in a clear and concise manner, making it easy for readers to understand and apply the techniques. However, some of the manipulations may require practice and may be more challenging for beginners.

5. Can these tricks and manipulations be used to solve real-world problems?

Yes, many of the techniques in this book have practical applications and can be used to solve real-world problems in fields such as engineering, physics, and finance. The book also includes examples and exercises to help readers apply the concepts to real-life situations.