Good introductory book on mathematical proofs?

In summary: The mathematics is not outdated. In fact, the book was used as the primary geometry reference book long into the 1600's, and the constructive (non-trig based) geometry that is taught in high school today is usually a dumbed down version of Euclid.
Scrumhalf
Gold Member
My 7th grader has enough mathematical background in algebra, geometry and trigonometry to start learning how to write out proofs. Are their good books that teach this step by step? I can certainly teach him myself with examples, but I figured there must be a systematic way to teach this.

I just searched on Amazon and found a few books with good reviews, but any recommendations would be great! Given the age of the student, the book should start off at a simple level and then go from there.

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
I think proof writing and reading are best learned as you learn other math, not by reading a book dedicated spesifically to proof writing. I think it might be a good idea to try Serge Lang's book "Basic Mathematics".
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0387967877/?tag=pfamazon01-20

Alternatively, if he/she is reasonably proficient in geometry, it might be a good idea to try reading Elements by Euclid, although it may still be too advanced, or too dry reading, as there is literally no exposition.

Last edited by a moderator:
OK.. thank you for that recommendation!

I agree. While there are some decent proof-writing books, it is better to learn by applying it to something interesting.

Some basic Discrete math textbooks contain a good introduction to writing proofs. I liked this one (and it essentially contains a partial solution manual):
https://www.amazon.com/dp/0131679953/?tag=pfamazon01-20
Ignore the reviews on Amazon.

Don't get the expensive new edition, though. Get a used older edition or an international edition:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B008ITTTPC/?tag=pfamazon01-20

http://www.bookfinder.com/search/?keywords=0131679953&st=sh&ac=qr&submit=

espen180 said:
Alternatively, if he/she is reasonably proficient in geometry, it might be a good idea to try reading Elements by Euclid, although it may still be too advanced, or too dry reading, as there is literally no exposition.
That one is a little dated, don't you think? I haven't read it, but I'm sure someone has figured out a better way to do these things in the 2300 years since it was written.

Fredrik said:
That one is a little dated, don't you think? I haven't read it, but I'm sure someone has figured out a better way to do these things in the 2300 years since it was written.

I think the only outdated aspect of the early editions is the language, and a lack of rigor in some places, but there exist modern translations with expository notes, see for example http://farside.ph.utexas.edu/euclid.html .
The mathematics, however, is not outdated. In fact, the book was used as the primary geometry reference book long into the 1600's, and the constructive (non-trig based) geometry that is taught in high school today is usually a dumbed down version of Euclid.

EDIT: In books 9 and 11, Euclid uses an early form of integration called the "method of exhaustion". I think you can safely say that these books are pretty outdated.

1. What makes a book a "good" introductory book on mathematical proofs?

A good introductory book on mathematical proofs should cover the basic concepts and techniques of proof writing in a clear and concise manner. It should also include plenty of examples and exercises for practice.

2. Is prior knowledge of advanced mathematics required to understand a book on mathematical proofs?

No, a good introductory book on mathematical proofs should not assume any prior knowledge of advanced mathematics. It should start with the basics and gradually introduce more advanced concepts.

3. Can a book on mathematical proofs be useful for both beginners and advanced readers?

Yes, a good introductory book on mathematical proofs can be useful for both beginners and advanced readers. Beginners can use it to learn the fundamentals of proof writing, while advanced readers can use it as a reference or to review key concepts.

4. Are there any specific topics or techniques that a good introductory book on mathematical proofs should cover?

A good introductory book on mathematical proofs should cover topics such as logic and set theory, methods of proof (direct, indirect, contrapositive), and proof strategies (mathematical induction, proof by contradiction). It should also cover common proof structures and techniques, such as proof by cases and counterexamples.

5. Can a book on mathematical proofs help improve critical thinking skills?

Yes, studying mathematical proofs can help improve critical thinking skills. Through the process of constructing and evaluating proofs, readers can learn to think logically and critically, which can be applied to other areas of study and in everyday life.