Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Intro book for Mathematical Analysis

1. Jul 27, 2007 #1
    I am looking to learn analysis on my own - would like to know how does the book "real mathematical analysis" by Pugh compare to baby Rudin.
  2. jcsd
  3. Jul 29, 2007 #2
    i dont know anything about pugh, but I don't think rudin is the best book for self studying.

strichartz's the way of analysis isnt the best reference book but it describes things in a "story-like" manner which might help for someone self studying. ross's elementary analsyis is kinda comparable to a spivak calculus type deal, but more geared towarfds lower end analsyis.

ive also heard great things about rosenlicht's intro to analysis (its a cheap dover)
  4. Aug 5, 2007 #3
    I really liked Introduction to Real Analysis by Bartle and Sherbert. It is a good intro book and it can be used for self study. Pretty good INTRO book. Not as thorough as other books however.
  5. Aug 22, 2007 #4
    Serge Lang, Undergraduate analysis is a good book.
  6. Oct 18, 2007 #5
    analysis self-learning is tough - rudin would be hard as it is if you were in a class. go with pugh.
  7. Oct 26, 2007 #6
    what courses should you have b4 trying to self-study analysis?
  8. Nov 24, 2007 #7

Chris Hillman

Science Advisor

Ditto Bartle if you are afraid of baby Rudin. Not that anyone should be afraid of baby Rudin--- it's a wonderful book!
  9. Nov 24, 2007 #8
  10. Nov 24, 2007 #9
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?