Book on Quantum Field Theory for PhD

In summary, the conversation is about finding a book on Quantum Field Theory for further study and possible PhD preparation. Suggestions are given for books such as Srednicki and Schwartz, Weinberg, Nair, and Bailin & Love. The advantages and disadvantages of each book are discussed, with a focus on the level of depth and coverage of topics. The conversation also touches on the importance of repetition and the struggle of understanding QFT.
Luca_Mantani
Hi all.
I am looking for a book in Quantum Field Theory, not for the first read. I have already studied it for university purpose, but now i would like to study the subject again from a book to cover holes and have a deeper understanding before starting a possible PhD.
I heard about Srednicki and Schwartz books and i was thinking about one of them. What do you think is the more appropriate?
Feel also free to suggest other books if you think there are better options.

Thanks in advance,
Luca

Physics news on Phys.org
If you do want to get the truth behind this powerful theory without getting all the mathematical gore, then the 3 volumes of S. Weinberg's book should be more than helpful.

Ticciati's 'Quantum Field Theory for Mathematicians' is quite good: https://goo.gl/NzA3Md . Despite its title, it's an excellent option for someone working towards a PhD in physics.

Yes, Weinberg's books are the right thing at this stage. He tells without much ado "why QFT is the way it is", and he doesn't only promise it in the preface but really does it!

So you say Srednicki and Schwartz are not ideal?

A combination like Klauber and Weinberg might be useful.

snatchingthepi said:
A combination like Klauber and Weinberg might be useful.
It is a bit confusing to me because you say that you do not want a "first read" but Srednicki is an introductory text on QFT, so it is hard to tell what the level you want, precisely. Are you at ease with basic canonical quantization? With basic path integrals? Are you at ease with tree level processes? What about one loop calculations?

Luca_Mantani said:
So you say Srednicki and Schwartz are not ideal?
I don't like Srednicki too much, because the ##\phi^3## theory doesn't make sense. Schwartz is excellent. I recommend it as a first read before Weinberg.

nrqed said:
It is a bit confusing to me because you say that you do not want a "first read" but Srednicki is an introductory text on QFT, so it is hard to tell what the level you want, precisely. Are you at ease with basic canonical quantization? With basic path integrals? Are you at ease with tree level processes? What about one loop calculations?

Yes, i already studied all of them. I would like something that can reinforce the notions i already know and fill the gaps (for example i don't know much about anomalies, i would like to study better renormalization and other stuff). I would also like to see applications and example.
So you think the first 2 Weinberg fit my needs the best?

Last edited:
Luca_Mantani said:
Yes, i already studied all of them. I would like something that can reinforce the notions i already know and fill the gaps (for example i don't know much about anomalies, i would like to study better renormalization and other stuff). I would also like to see applications and example.
So you think the first 2 Weinberg fit my needs the best?
Weinberg's books are good, yes, although not personal favorites. I would suggest Quantum Field Theory: A Modern Perspective by Nair. Not very well-known but excellent in my opinion.

Srednicki has a very good chapter on effective field theory and the renormalization group. Nair and Schwartz too - I have never quite understood Weinberg's exposition on it, although he was one of the proponents of it after Wilson.

Yes, I must admit that the chapter on RG is a bit weak in Weinberg, which is surprising since he wrote very important seminal papers on it.

On the other hand he gives the first-principle derivations in a very clear way. Why I don't think that it's a good introductory book but rather for deepening the understanding for someone who has already some grip of QFT is that he treats almost always the very general case, which is of course more complicated than to treat the special cases usually needed for the understanding of the Standard Model. E.g., he gives a full treatment of the Poincare-group representations for particles of arbitrary spin (of course also a set of famous papers by Weinberg) including spin-statistics and CPT theorem. For the beginner it's sufficient to know the basics, i.e., the special case of scalar, Dirac-fermion, and spin-1 fields (the latter including the massless case). However, to really understand why QFT is the way it is the in-depth treatment of the irreps. of the Poincare group is very illuminating.

I don't know the book by Nair. What's its advantages compared to, e.g., Schwartz?

BTW: Another book that was very helpful for me to learn QFT when I was a diploma student is Bailin, Love, Gauge Theories. It's a path-integral-only approach with a very witty derivation of the LSZ-reduction formalism via a generating functional and without operators, i.e., using only path integrals.

Likes dextercioby
I like the comment by vanhees on Bailin & Love for its amazing value in teaching QFT completely operator free. My course in uni was based on this book.

Likes vanhees71
One good thing about Hatfield's book is that he treats QFT in Schrodinger representation. I don't know any other author who does that. But I also like the approach of Bailin and Love and like to read that book one day!

ShayanJ said:
One good thing about Hatfield's book is that he treats QFT in Schrodinger representation. I don't know any other author who does that. But I also like the approach of Bailin and Love and like to read that book one day!
I also like very much Hatfield's book. A lot of books on QFT feel like they pretty much repeat the same things in the same way. Hatfield truly makes an effort to present things in his own way and his approach is interesting and, I found, very useful.

Likes ShayanJ
Take them all... :-D

Repetition is not a bad thing, in the end it sinks in.

From my own experience I can say that this "sinking in" takes a long time when it comes to QFT, but it's fun to struggle with it.:smile:

Related to Book on Quantum Field Theory for PhD

1. What is quantum field theory?

Quantum field theory is a theoretical framework that combines the principles of quantum mechanics and special relativity to describe the behavior of subatomic particles and their interactions. It is used to study the fundamental forces and particles that make up the universe.

2. Why is quantum field theory important?

Quantum field theory is important because it provides a way to understand and predict the behavior of particles at the subatomic level, which is crucial for many areas of modern physics such as particle physics, cosmology, and condensed matter physics.

3. Is a PhD necessary to understand quantum field theory?

No, a PhD is not necessary to understand quantum field theory. However, it is a highly advanced and mathematical topic, so a strong foundation in mathematics and physics is required to fully grasp its concepts.

4. How is quantum field theory applied in real-world situations?

Quantum field theory has many practical applications, such as in the development of new technologies like transistors and lasers, as well as in the study of particle interactions in high-energy experiments like the Large Hadron Collider.

5. What are some recommended resources for learning quantum field theory?

Some recommended resources for learning quantum field theory include textbooks such as "Quantum Field Theory for the Gifted Amateur" by Tom Lancaster and Stephen J. Blundell, online lecture series from universities, and research papers in the field. It is also helpful to seek guidance from experienced physicists and attend seminars or conferences on the topic.