Book question - Nuclear and Particle Physics

In summary, the conversation is about a new book by BR Martin titled "Nuclear and Particle Physics, An Introduction". The person asking has not read it and is looking for reviews, while someone else suggests checking the Table of Contents on the publisher's website for more information.
interested_learner
Book question -- Nuclear and Particle Physics

Has anyone out there read BR Martin's new book: "Nuclear and Particle Physics, An introduction" ?? There is no review in Amazon and I was wondering if it is any good?

Physics news on Phys.org
I haven't read it, but one can look at the Table of Contents on-line.

BR Martin's new book: "Nuclear and Particle Physics, An Introduction", https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0470025328/?tag=pfamazon01-20

From the publisher's website -
http://www.wiley.com/WileyCDA/WileyTitle/productCd-0470025328.html

I always go to the publishers' sites to browse books, and sometimes download TOC or excerpts for reference.

Last edited by a moderator:

I have not personally read BR Martin's new book, but I have heard good things about it from colleagues who have. From what I understand, it provides a comprehensive and accessible introduction to the complex and fascinating fields of nuclear and particle physics. However, as with any textbook, it may not be the best fit for every reader's learning style or background knowledge. I suggest checking out any available sample chapters or reviews from other sources before making a decision to purchase.

What is nuclear physics?

Nuclear physics is the branch of physics that studies the structure and behavior of atomic nuclei. It involves the study of the fundamental forces and interactions that govern the behavior of nuclei, as well as the processes of nuclear reactions and decay.

What is particle physics?

Particle physics is the branch of physics that studies the fundamental building blocks of matter and the forces that govern their interactions. It involves the study of subatomic particles such as electrons, protons, and neutrons, as well as the forces that hold them together.

What are the applications of nuclear and particle physics?

Nuclear and particle physics have many practical applications, including nuclear power generation, medical imaging and treatments, and the development of new materials and technologies. They also contribute to our understanding of the universe and its origins.

What are the main differences between nuclear and particle physics?

The main difference between nuclear and particle physics is the scale at which they operate. Nuclear physics deals with the structure and behavior of atomic nuclei, while particle physics focuses on the fundamental particles that make up matter. Additionally, nuclear physics primarily involves the study of forces within the nucleus, while particle physics focuses on the interactions between particles.

What are the current areas of research in nuclear and particle physics?

Some current areas of research in nuclear and particle physics include the search for new particles and forces, the study of dark matter and dark energy, and the development of advanced technologies for nuclear power and medical applications. Other topics of interest include the study of the early universe, the properties of neutrinos, and the structure of matter at extreme energies.