Looking for a book with an Overview of Nuclear and Particle Physics

In summary, the individual is seeking a book to gain a better understanding of Nuclear and Particle Physics for their PhD studies. They have been using specific papers for their research but feel they lack general knowledge which may be tested during their defense. Some suggested books include Halzen and Martin, Griffiths, Martin, Williams, Das and Ferbel, Henley and Garcia, Burcham and Jobes, Blin-Stoyle, Segre, and Walecka, that cover both introductory and advanced topics in this field."
schmidtmazu
Hi,

I am doing my PHD in Nuclear/Particle Physics and I am getting all of the information I am using from papers, which are very specific. I feel like I am lacking general knowledge, which is likely to be tested in the defense. Do you know any book where I can get a better overview on Nuclear and Particle Physics?

Thank you!

Physics news on Phys.org
Halzen and Martin, Griffiths

Likes vanhees71
Vanadium 50 said:
Halzen and Martin, Griffiths
andresB said:
Those are not about the nuclear.

In addition to Povh et al that @vanhees71 mentioned, there are also:
Martin, Nuclear and Particle Physics
Williams, Nuclear and Particle Physics
Das and Ferbel, Introduction to Nuclear and Particle Physics
Henley and Garcia, Subatomic Physics
Burcham and Jobes, Nuclear and Particle Physics
Blin-Stoyle, Nuclear and Particle Physics

The above are all introductions, while more advanced are:
Segre, Nuclei and Particles
Walecka, Theoretical Nuclear and Subnuclear Physics

Likes vanhees71

1. What is nuclear physics?

Nuclear physics is the study of the atomic nucleus, including its structure, behavior, and interactions with other particles. It also involves the study of nuclear reactions, such as nuclear fusion and fission.

2. What is particle physics?

Particle physics is the study of the fundamental particles that make up the universe and the forces that govern their interactions. This includes subatomic particles such as protons, neutrons, and electrons, as well as the more exotic particles like quarks and leptons.

3. What is the relationship between nuclear physics and particle physics?

Nuclear physics and particle physics are closely related fields of study. Nuclear physics focuses on the behavior of the atomic nucleus, while particle physics studies the fundamental particles that make up the nucleus. Both fields use similar theories and techniques to understand the nature of matter and energy.

4. What are some important applications of nuclear and particle physics?

Nuclear and particle physics have a wide range of applications in areas such as energy production, medicine, and materials science. For example, nuclear reactions are used to generate electricity in nuclear power plants, and particle accelerators are used in medical imaging and cancer treatment.

5. What are some recommended books for learning about nuclear and particle physics?

Some recommended books for learning about nuclear and particle physics include "Introductory Nuclear Physics" by Kenneth S. Krane, "Particle Physics: A Very Short Introduction" by Frank Close, and "Modern Particle Physics" by Mark Thomson. These books provide overviews of the subject and are suitable for readers with varying levels of background knowledge.