Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Applied Numerical Analysis book question

1. Jan 20, 2018 #1
    So in my future numerical analysis class the recommended book i liked the most was Numerical mathematics by Quarteroni :

https://books.google.pt/books/about...p_read_button&redir_esc=y#v=onepage&q&f=false

Since i like this branch of mathematics i tried to go to a library and read it and although i liked it i found it a bit hard to read maybe because of it's formalism or my lack of knowledge that i should have to read it.
    Is this one of those cases were you should read a book to prepare yourself for a harder one or should i focus on something else first ?

Thanks in advance

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 20, 2018 #2

FactChecker

Science Advisor
    Gold Member
    2018 Award

If you find that book too hard, why do you say that you liked it the most? Many reviewers on Amazon seem to agree with your comment that it is hard to understand. There is something to be said for a book that you can understand. What are the other recommended books? If one of them is easier to understand, I suggest that you look at it.

4. Jan 20, 2018 #3
    I liked it the most because it's not a recipe book or matlab centered (although is has some code examples) like the other's that are recommended. It seems to be more focused in the mathematics rather than a computer language or software implementation (although it has some examples).

To answer your question the other recommended books are:

Numerical methods using matlab by Mathews.
    Applied numerical methods using matlab by Fausset.

Thanks for your reply.

5. Jan 20, 2018 #4
  6. Jan 24, 2018 #5
    In my university, we study 2 courses about Computational Physics (or Numerical Analysis in Mathematics Faculty), CP1 and CP2, and we use MATLAB.
    I don't know what your major in university is, Mathematics of Physics, but if your major is Physics, see below :-p

CP1 we study about Number, Errors, Solving linear eq/system of eqs, Interpolation, Numerical Integration and Numerical Differentiation. We are recommended to use 3 books: A First Course in Computational Physics (Paul DeVries), Computational Physics (Páez, Landau <-- Not Landau we all know :biggrin:) and Numerical Analysis Using Spreadsheet (Karris). For me, I don't recommend you with the first one - Paul DeVries - because it's quite hard and it uses Fortran.

CP2 we study about Monte Carlo method, Molecular Dynamics, Partial Differential Eqs and Fourier Transformation. We are recommended to use: PDE (Farlow), PDE:An Introduction (W. Strauss) for PDE part. For MC, MD and Fourier Transformation, we just study in the class.

Last words, you can read whatever you want, but
    1st, follow the lecturer's recommend
    2nd, focus much on algorithm, less on coding

Good luck :wink:

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?