1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Linear Algebra Book recommendations: Linear algebra

1. Nov 18, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    What books of completely solved problems (free in pdf) in linear algebra would you suggest?
    Please suggest books that have solved problems, and not theory.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 20, 2015 #2

jedishrfu

Staff: Mentor

4. Nov 20, 2015 #3
    I would get an older edition of Linear Algebra by Anton (5 dollars shipped) and Friedberg, Ingel, Spence, "Linear Algebra," (8 dollars shipped). Friedberg is typically used for a second course, but it can be used as an introduction. If it is to hard, refer to Anton.

5. Nov 22, 2015 #4
    I really liked Strang's book for a well-rounded approach to the subject.

For sheer number of drill problems, Advanced Engineering Mathematics by Kreyszig has a section on linear algebra that's one of the better introductions I've seen. I use the 7th edition, which you can get very cheaply off Amazon.

There's also the abstract algebra book by Pinter, A Book of Abstract Algebra, that I recommend because it's easy to read and helps to keep the broader ideas in mind.

6. Nov 22, 2015 #5
    I found Strang a bit to verbose, great exercises however. This is a love it or hate book. I found Linear Algebra by Friedberg easier to read than Strang.

7. Nov 22, 2015 #6
    I strongly recommend the "Linear Algebra" by Hoffman/Kunze for in-depth learning of the topics. I am currently reading this book alongside with Friedberg (required text for my current LA course), and I found that H/K gives more insights and clearer explanations than Friedberg. Two things I do not really like about Friedberg are that the problem sets are quite repetitive and some important theorems and concepts are pushed to the problem sets.

Great resource for the problems is a book called "Problems in Linear Algebra" by Paul Halmos.

8. Nov 22, 2015 #7

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

I think a lot of people here are missing that the OP specifically asked for a book that was light on theory...

9. Nov 22, 2015 #8
    Ah! How about Schaum's Outlines of Linear Algebra? I think Paul Halmos' Problems Book of Linear Algebra work very well too.

10. Nov 22, 2015 #9

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

Depends on what the OP means with linear algebra. You interpret it as vector spaces. The OP might simply have matrix algebra and some geometry in mind.

11. Nov 22, 2015 #10
    Speaking of Hoffman and Kunze, and Halmos' Linear Algebra Problem Book, how do those two compare as a main textbook?

12. Nov 22, 2015 #11

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

Halmos' linear algebra problem book isn't meant as a main textbook. So it's very bad as a main textbook.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted