Book Suggestions for Teaching Conceptual Modern Physics

In summary, Rodger Dodger is searching for a suitable book to teach quantum mechanics to students with almost no math background. He thinks about using Gronick's Cartoon Guide for Physics, but decides against it because it has too much math and he also thinks about using Modern Physics for Dummies, but decides against it because he would rather not start the semester off on the wrong foot. He recommends Feynman's book on QED and Sneaking a Look at God's Cards.
Roger Dodger
It appears that I will be assigned to teach a modern physics course centered on quantum mechanics for those with almost no math background and I am searching for a suitable book. Essentially, this would be the modern physics equivalent of Paul Hewitt's Conceptual Physics book.

I thought of using Gronick's Cartoon Guide for Physics, but it is light on quantum mechanics. I also thought about Modern Physics for Dummies, but assigning students a book with that name would be rather insulting and I would rather avoid starting off the semester on the wrong foot.

Any ideas? Again, there would need to be a preponderance of discussion on quantum mechanics with the least emphasis on mathematics as possible.

Thanks in advance.

Science news on Phys.org
Hello Rodger Dodger. Welcome to the forum.

Um... Quantum mechanics without math... And you say you can't call them dummies? Ok... What is the title of this class?

Maybe Feynman's book on QED would be about right. Very little math.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00BR40XJ6/?tag=pfamazon01-20

Thanks for the suggestion. I had forgotten all about that book. I will see if it will serve my students' needs.

I want to keep the math at the arithmetic level. I can do this in many cases by not asking them to solve for anything, but simply use arithmetic to verify the results of an equation. The students have all had algebra, but many of them are very rust and I would rather avoid any sort of algebraic manipulation. They can also interpret charts, which I plan to lean on heavily in the class.

Any other suggestions would be most appreciated.

Why not teach the math? One can convey the key ideas using only finite dimensional linear algebra. It's easier than classical mechanics.

And the Bell test provides an example of key features of quantum mechanics.

Sean Carroll gives an overview that is a bit in this spirit in chapter 11 of his book "From Eternity to Here"

http://preposterousuniverse.com/eternitytohere/quantum/

I've read bits of these books after being introduced to them by StevieTNZ, and they might be worth looking at.

Anton Zeilinger, Dance of the Photons
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B005OR08EC/?tag=pfamazon01-20

Giancarlo Ghirardi, Sneaking a Look at God's Cardshttps://www.amazon.com/dp/069113037X/?tag=pfamazon01-20
https://www.amazon.com/dp/069113037X/?tag=pfamazon01-20

Last edited:
Roger Dodger said:
It appears that I will be assigned to teach a modern physics course centered on quantum mechanics for those with almost no math background and I am searching for a suitable book. <snip>

This seems very odd... is this some sort of 'general elective'? Can you provide some context and details about the students- grade level, typical major...?

One significant thrust of this course could simply be teaching the students how to detect 'not even wrong' quantum-labeled pesudo-science.

Aaty, thanks for the suggestions. I think Carroll's work would make for great supplementary reading. How well I can get across the concept of the wave function remains to be seen. I have what I think is a clear way of presenting it, but we'll see. The book Sneaking a Look at God's Cards appears to be the most promising of the three you offiered.

Andy, it's an upper-division general elective. The students will hail mostly from non-science majors, especially the liberal arts. It's designed for students to get reasonably accurate idea of what quantum mechanics is all about. In a sense, it does for modern physics what Hewitt did for general physics. I do like the pseudo-science angle. I have done a lot of teaching of pseudo-science in the past, and this would be a good vehicle for that. Thanks for the suggestion.

DEvens suggestion to include Feynman's QED has prompted me to order a desk copy to review. I am also looking at:

• The Cartoon Guide to Physics by Larry Gonick
  • The Quantum World: Quantum Physics for Everyone by Kenneth Ford (Probably too technical based on reviews. I have not seen the book.)
  • Quantum Physics: A Beginner's Guide (Beginner's Guides) by Alastair Rae
  • Quantum: A Guide for the Perplexed by Jim Al-Khalili

What is the main focus of "Book Suggestions for Teaching Conceptual Modern Physics"?

The main focus of this book is to provide recommendations for teaching conceptual modern physics, specifically for those who are new to teaching this subject or looking for new resources.

What are some key topics covered in this book?

Some key topics covered in this book include relativity, quantum mechanics, and particle physics, as well as their applications in the modern world.

Are there any specific teaching strategies or activities suggested in this book?

Yes, this book offers various teaching strategies and activities, such as thought experiments, hands-on experiments, and interactive demonstrations, to help students understand complex concepts in modern physics.

Is this book suitable for all levels of students?

While this book is primarily geared towards teachers, it can also be useful for students at the high school and undergraduate level who are looking for additional resources to supplement their learning in modern physics.

Are there any recommended resources or references included in this book?

Yes, this book includes a list of recommended resources and references for further reading and exploration, including textbooks, online resources, and experiment kits.