Books for the foundations of quantum mechanics?

In summary: Overall, it seems like "Functional Analysis" by Walter Rudin and "Mathematical Foundations of Quantum Mechanics" by John Von Neumann are highly recommended for understanding the mathematical foundations of QM. It is also suggested to study Lebesgue integration and Hilbert spaces, as well as books on algebraic and constructive QFT for a deeper understanding of the physical side.
wigglywinks
I finished reading "Linear Operators for QM" by Jordan a couple of weeks ago, and it was extremely interesting for me. It introduced various topics in functional analysis that are relevant to the foundations of QM (Hilbert spaces, spectral theory, von Neumann algebras, etc.).

I was wondering if anyone could recommend some pure maths books that go into these topics in more detail, or any other physics books that explain the mathematical foundations of QM written for advanced undergraduate/early graduate students. If you know about any books on an introduction to functional analysis in general, then that would be great too.

Also, how much measure theory and Lebesgue theory would I need? My only exposure to those things are from Rudin's mathematical analysis and the QM book I've mentioned.

Physics news on Phys.org
Edmonds, Angular Momentum in Quantum Mechanics

Many people like Tinkham, Group Theory and Quantum Mechanics, but I have no direct experience

"Functional Analysis" (Walter Rudin), "Fundamentals of the Theory of Operator Algebras" (Kadison and Ringrose, two volumes), "Methods of Modern Mathematical-Physics" (Reed and Simon, four volumes), "Mathematical Methods in Quantum Mechanics (with applications to Schrodinger Operators)" (Gerald Teschl), "Mathematical Structure of Quantum Mechanics (a short course for mathematicians)" ( F. Strocchi), "Mathematical Foundations of Quantum Mechanics" (John Von Neumann, 1932 ).For the mathematics behind big parts of QFT:

"Local Quantum Physics" (Haag), "Quantum Physics: A Functional Integral Point of View" (Glimm and Jaffe), "Introduction to Algebraic and Constructive Quantum Field Theory" (Baez, Segal...), "Quantum Field Theory for Mathematicians" (Robin Ticciati), "Quantum Field Theory (a tourist guide for mathematicians)" (Folland).

To be able to really understand the physical side, you'll need to study at the same time books like:

For QM: "Quantum Mechanics, A Modern Development" (Ballentine), "Mecanica Cuantica" (Galindo y Pascual)

For QFT: "The Quantum Theory of Fields" (Weinberg, 3 volumes), "Quantum Field Theory" (Eberhard Zeidler, 3 volumes already and 3 more are coming).There are many more important textbooks, but with these ones you'll be busy for 20 or 30 years (no kidding).

Yea - Ballentine's book is the one you want. He explains with reasonably good rigor how QM is the result of two axioms. And one of those axioms to a large extent follows from the other via Gleason's Theorem (not completely - which is why you can't ditch it - but it is seen to apply with the very mathematically intuitive idea of non contextuality):
http://kof.physto.se/cond_mat_page/theses/helena-master.pdf

wigglywinks said:
Also, how much measure theory and Lebesgue theory would I need? My only exposure to those things are from Rudin's mathematical analysis and the QM book I've mentioned.

You can learn Lebesque integration from many sources - Ruden is fine. For Hilbert spaces and its relation to QM get Von Neumann's Classic - Mathematical Foundations of QM. But, while Von Neumans method, based on the spectral theorem, is mathematically rigorous, it's not what is used by physicists. To understand the way they look at it you need to come to grips with Rigged Hilbert Spaces, the Generalized Spectral Theorem, and Distribution Theory. Ballentine gives a reasonable introduction to that but I actually reccomend the following little gem:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/0521558905/?tag=pfamazon01-20

Thanks
Bill

Last edited:
Simon & Reed Functional Analysis is a great book for this purpose.

Thanks for the suggestions everyone, I'll take a look at them.

1. What is the significance of "Books for the foundations of quantum mechanics?"

The foundations of quantum mechanics refer to the fundamental principles and concepts that underlie our understanding of the behavior of particles at the atomic and subatomic level. Books on this topic provide a comprehensive and theoretical approach to understanding the principles and mathematical framework of quantum mechanics.

2. What are some recommended books for the foundations of quantum mechanics?

Some recommended books for the foundations of quantum mechanics include "Introduction to Quantum Mechanics" by David J. Griffiths, "Quantum Mechanics: The Theoretical Minimum" by Leonard Susskind and Art Friedman, and "Quantum Mechanics: Concepts and Applications" by Nouredine Zettili.

3. How do books on the foundations of quantum mechanics differ from other books on quantum mechanics?

Books specifically focused on the foundations of quantum mechanics provide a more theoretical and in-depth approach to understanding the principles and mathematical framework of quantum mechanics. They may also delve into the history of quantum mechanics and the debates surrounding its interpretation.

4. Are there any prerequisites for reading books on the foundations of quantum mechanics?

A basic understanding of calculus, linear algebra, and classical mechanics is typically recommended before delving into books on the foundations of quantum mechanics. Some books may also assume a basic knowledge of quantum mechanics and its mathematical formalism.

5. Can books on the foundations of quantum mechanics be understood by non-scientists?

While books on the foundations of quantum mechanics are primarily written for a scientific audience, some may be accessible to non-scientists with a strong interest in the subject. However, these books may require a significant amount of time and effort to understand the complex concepts and mathematical formalism involved.