1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Books for the theoretical minimum video courses

1. Oct 10, 2016 #1
    Hi, everyone.

I'm currently taking a gap year, and my plan is to study physics, probably for the rest of my life (With that I mean, reading and learning physics for the rest of my life ;-) )

But I thought why not start now? I kind of have fallen in love with the lectures held by Leonard Susskind, that you can find on the theoretical minimum (http://theoreticalminimum.com/courses).
    But the problem is, that I don't know what books I should read that relates to the courses.

Since the lectures are from Stanford University, I thought it might be possible to find the study plans the students followed when the lectures were filmed.
    Or maybe you could recommend some books that match each course?
    It's just that, it would be nice with a book that is using some of the same examples like in the lectures.

BTW, the book should be a book, you would read when taking a degree in physics at college. Or else I could just have read the book "The theoretical minimum".

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 10, 2016 #2
    What's your background in mathematics?
    Kleppner & Kolenkow is a classic book on mechanics. I've heard that Griffith's book on electrodynamics is very good, also. But book of them require you to have a solid understanding of calculus.

4. Oct 11, 2016 #3

vanhees71

Science Advisor
    2016 Award

Last edited by a moderator: May 8, 2017
  5. Oct 11, 2016 #4
    Yeah, I know. But i really want to immerse myself into physics. And i don't think that two books with a total number of around 800 pages, covering so many different courses, can be that detailed. But yeah, i'm considering to read both of them, as a starting point.

Last edited by a moderator: May 8, 2017
  6. Oct 11, 2016 #5
    Well, i have just finished high school with A level math, so i don't have the solid understanding yet. But off course it is my intention to take a course in calculus.
    But thanks for the recommendations.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted