Books (not textbooks) for introduction to subjects

In summary: Excellent.I will definitely read up on many of the Very Short Introductions.I read Atkins's one on Thermodynamics earlier this year and forgotten about it.
LittleMrsMonkey
I want to read some books on the major different fields(solid state,computational and any other except from medical physics and the astro,theoretical,cosmo stuff) in order to get a feel for what I might want to pursue later on my degree.I don't want it to be a textbook as you might agree textbooks aren't very motivating.And I won't properly understand the math.
I guess I am asking if you know of any good "popular science"-y books on the fields other than the astro stuff.Or maybe very sort and very soft introductory textbooks.
I sense someone might suggest to consult with professors and so on.Noted.So please don't.
Backround:I am going into my second year of a physics degree.My curriculum doesn't have a proper introduction to modern fields until the 3rd year.I am not in an English speaking language,so please don't make suggestions specific to the US college system or something like that.

Physics news on Phys.org
Have you read Feynman's "QED"? It's very short and sweet, an easy read, but also very educational.

Likes LittleMrsMonkey
In lieu of books have you looked at things like Arduino kits? You can get some practical experience programming micro-controllers while using it to build projects. Seems like a more interesting way to look at something than reading pop science.

Last edited:
Likes LittleMrsMonkey
Dishsoap said:
Have you read Feynman's "QED"? It's very short and sweet, an easy read, but also very educational.
I will now.I started going through the Feynman Lectures but decided to leave it for after I graduate.Thank you.

Student100 said:
In lieu of books have you looked at things like Arduino kits? You can get some practical experience programming micro-controllers while using it to build projects. Seems like a more interesting way to look at something than reading pop science.
I am trying to learn as much coding as I can,but I'm not interested in electronics.

LittleMrsMonkey said:
I am trying to learn as much coding as I can,but I'm not interested in electronics.

Neither am I but coding for an Arduino teaches you a whole different kind of programming than pure computational stuff. The electronics part is really easy, foolproof even.

Likes LittleMrsMonkey
Dishsoap said:
Neither am I but coding for an Arduino teaches you a whole different kind of programming than pure computational stuff. The electronics part is really easy, foolproof even.
I'll look into it then,thanks.

I have been looking for something like that. The closest things I found are:

1. The Very Short Introduction series of books. Superconductivity, Physical Chemistry, perhaps Materials, Chaos and a few others might fit your criteria.
2. Biographies. They usually contain general, qualitative descriptions of relevant fields. Only if you enjoy reading them anyway - the technical content is just a background.

Independent said:
I have been looking for something like that. The closest things I found are:

1. The Very Short Introduction series of books. Superconductivity, Physical Chemistry, perhaps Materials, Chaos and a few others might fit your criteria.
2. Biographies. They usually contain general, qualitative descriptions of relevant fields. Only if you enjoy reading them anyway - the technical content is just a background.
Excellent.I will definitely read up on many of the Very Short Introductions.I read Atkins's one on Thermodynamics earlier this year and forgotten about it.

1. What are some good books for introduction to a specific subject?

Some popular books for introduction to various subjects include "Sapiens: A Brief History of Humankind" for history, "A Brief History of Time" for physics, "The Selfish Gene" for biology, and "Thinking, Fast and Slow" for psychology.

2. Are there any books specifically for beginners in a particular subject?

Yes, there are many books targeted towards beginners in specific subjects. Some examples include "A Very Short Introduction" series from Oxford University Press, "For Dummies" series, and "Idiot's Guides" series.

3. Can you recommend a book that covers multiple subjects?

Yes, there are many books that cover multiple subjects, such as "A Short History of Nearly Everything" by Bill Bryson, "The Oxford Book of Modern Science Writing" edited by Richard Dawkins, and "The Story of Art" by E.H. Gombrich.

4. Are there any books that provide a broad overview of a subject?

Yes, there are books that provide a broad overview of a subject, often referred to as "survey" books. Some examples are "The Oxford Handbook of [Subject]" series, "A Brief History of [Subject]" series, and "Introduction to [Subject]" by various authors.

5. Can you recommend a book that includes interactive elements for learning a subject?

Yes, there are several books that incorporate interactive elements such as quizzes, exercises, and online resources for learning a subject. Some examples are "Head First" series, "The Manga Guide to [Subject]" series, and "Crash Course" series on YouTube.