1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Support PF! Reminder for those going back to school to buy their text books via PF Here!
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Relativity Books on General Relativity for dummies

1. Jun 21, 2015 #1
    Love to learn GR but lack or dislike doctoral mathematics. Here is a list of books through which one can catch the essence of the subject and also learn its mathematics without much pain to the eyes-

1. At first, one should DEFINITELY refer to
    Albert Einstein and His Inflatable Universe (Dead Famous)
    https://www.amazon.com/Albert-Einstein-Inflatable-Universe-Famous/dp/0439992168
    This comic book prepares a floor for your further advancements in the subject.

2. Secondly, one should refer to the following videos to master SR with ease
    Special Relativity | Lecture 1

3. And at last one can refer to -
    Gravity: An Introduction to Einstein's General Relativity
    https://www.amazon.com/Gravity-Introduction-Einsteins-General-Relativity/dp/0805386629
    This books physics first approach erects your understanding in GR to its max height. Be careful to study only desired chapter for understanding only. Its a fantastic undergrad book.

If you go by the above mentioned sequence of books and video, you can definitely greatly enhance your understanding in this beautiful subject. So go on and enjoy.:woot::woot::woot::woot:

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 21, 2015 #2
    This is not even question.Did you share this just fun ?

4. Jun 21, 2015 #3

bcrowell

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

The first book is aimed at kids ages 7-14 and is a biography. Not the kind of thing I would suggest to an adult who wants to learn about the subject of relativity rather than Einstein's life story. The author seems to write a lot of children's books about math, science, and computers, but I see no evidence that he has any deep knowledge of relativity.

Re the video, I seldom see anyone get anything much out of watching video lectures. It's a passive exercise.

Hartle is indeed a nice book on GR at the upper-division level, but I doubt that the first two items would be enough of a foundation for someone who wanted to understand the material in Hartle.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted