What books to get before studying Quantum Mechanics and General Relativity?

In summary: It's one of the best courses available and will give you a good foundation in classical mechanics. But it is not necessary to know classical mechanics before starting Quantum.In summary, before starting to learn Quantum Mechanics and General Relativity, it is important to have a strong understanding of linear algebra, abstract algebra, and mathematical analysis such as real and complex calculus. Knowledge of special relativity is also necessary. Some recommended resources include self-studying linear and abstract algebra, Prof. Griffiths' book on Quantum, and lecture courses by Prof. Sourav Mukopadhyay and Prof. Balakrishnan. Knowledge of classical mechanics is not necessary, but can be helpful.
Daras
Hi.
I want to learn - amateurishly - Quantum Mechanics, and General Relativity, but my experience with Physics is very small.
I want to ask, what should I learn - what books should I read - before I start to learn those theories?

Sorry for my english.

Physics news on Phys.org
Daras said:
Hi.
I want to learn - amateurishly - Quantum Mechanics, and General Relativity, but my experience with Physics is very small.
I want to ask, what should I learn - what books should I read - before I start to learn those theories?

Sorry for my english.
Quantum Mechanics requires linear algebra, abstract algebra and mathematical analysis (real and complex), so that you can study everything with full rigor. Calculus is also a requirement. It is not a sufficient but definitely necessary condition. If you want less rigor, maybe linear and abstract algebra, and introductory analysis will be enough.

Have a look at the following PF insights blogs:

Self-Studying linear algebra

Self studying abstract algebra

From physics, you need to know special relativity.

Take a look at Griffiths' book on Quantum. Chapter 3 has a lot of mathematical insights that might help you.

I would suggest lecture courses in addition to books.

For linear algebra, you can have a look at Introduction to Abstract and Linear Algebra by Prof. Sourav Mukopadhyay. All lectures have not been released as of today, but they will soon be released. It's a good course, and the prof. teaches well. Every week, five lectures are released.

Other than that, you can refer to Prof. Balakrishnan's lectures Quantum Physics. Though you are supposed to know linear Algebra before starting, he summaries some concepts in the first few lectures. Also, some concepts of classical mechanics would be necessary too, though not very essential.

For special theory of relativity, look at this course by Prof. Shiva Prasad.

Likes Daras
Thanks for the answer, but I have one more question.

Didn't I need to know basic Physics like Classical Mechanics etc.?

Daras said:
Thanks for the answer, but I have one more question.

Didn't I need to know basic Physics like Classical Mechanics etc.?
If you know classical physics like Lagrangian and Hamiltonian mechanics, you're at a great advantage. But you can start Quantum without it, keeping on mind you start with a book/course that does not get too much into classical while dealing in quantum.

If you're interested, have a look at Prof. Balakrishnan's course Classical Physics.

Likes Daras

1. What are the best introductory books for studying Quantum Mechanics and General Relativity?

Some popular introductory books for Quantum Mechanics are "Introduction to Quantum Mechanics" by David J. Griffiths and "Quantum Physics: A Beginner's Guide" by Alastair I.M. Rae. For General Relativity, "A First Course in General Relativity" by Bernard Schutz and "Gravity: An Introduction to Einstein's General Relativity" by James B. Hartle are highly recommended.

2. Are there any books that cover both Quantum Mechanics and General Relativity?

Yes, there are a few books that provide an introduction to both Quantum Mechanics and General Relativity, such as "Quantum Mechanics and General Relativity: The Physicist's Perspective" by James B. Hartle and "Quantum and Gravity: A Unified Approach" by John C. Baez and Javier P. Muniain.

3. Are there any books specifically for self-study of Quantum Mechanics and General Relativity?

Yes, "Self-Study Guide to Quantum Mechanics and General Relativity" by Robert F. O'Connell and "A Student's Guide to Einstein's Major Papers" by Robert E. Kennedy are both designed for self-study and include exercises and solutions.

4. What books are recommended for gaining a deeper understanding of Quantum Mechanics and General Relativity?

Some advanced books that delve deeper into the concepts of Quantum Mechanics and General Relativity are "Quantum Field Theory and the Standard Model" by Matthew D. Schwartz and "Spacetime and Geometry: An Introduction to General Relativity" by Sean Carroll.

5. Are there any online resources or lecture notes that can supplement these books?

Yes, there are many online resources and lecture notes available to supplement the material covered in these books. Some recommended resources are MIT OpenCourseWare for Quantum Mechanics and General Relativity, and Stanford University's Lectures on General Relativity by Leonard Susskind.